Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Uzzi VPX that I have built up pretty heavey since I am a really "big boned" dude. I have the Travis 180mm fork and I swapped out the stock spring for the heaviest spring they make for it. I also tried to lighten up the bike a bit by taking off my Maxis DH 2.7" tires and put on a Kenda single ply 2.5 front and 2.35 rear. The bike feels a bit more front heavy (when lifting it) but rides really well now that the front and rear are better matched. I just started messin around with some dirt jumps a couple weeks ago and started wondering if the front end feeling heavy will actually act hevy, or will I just get use to being in the air and learn how to throw the bike around how it is. The list of things I can think of to lighten the front are kind of expensive, like get right of the 729/14 gauge straight spoke front rim and maybe a ti spring.

Any thoughts? Should I try to ballance it or just learn how to ride?

·
Registered
13 Posts
i find mine pretty easy to jump, its nice and flickable too, once you are in the air its pretty easy to adjust the angle of the bike, i say just get out there and ride it, you will soon get a feel for it.

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
What length and height of stem are you using?
How many spacers do you have under your stem?
What height of bars are you using?

If this is your first "big bike" then it may take a bit getting used to. It's not that the components are particularly heavy, it's the geometry of the bike that makes it feel even more heavy.

I don't know your jumping skills, so I'm sorry if this comment is obvious. Depending on the bike you're used to jumping, you may need to readjust your weight positioning when jumping. Also, you may need to preload the front of the bike differently on the face of the jump.

I'm having a bit of a problem with my front end coming off the ground. :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My "big bike" is an M3. I am very comfortable doing smaller drops (4') and DH riding. The dirt jumping with the steep ramp up entrys is what is new for me. I think I have my bars up fairly high, maybe 1/2" or 3/4" with a 70mm stem. Don't remember exactly and it is at home, I am at work. :mad:

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I find that dirt jumps style ramps do flick the rear end up. Its just practice - I'm not a dirt jump pro but i think it helps make the "shape" for dropping the front of the bike into the landing ramp. Just keep trying and pull the front up more off the lip.

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
Ah yes...steep faced jumps. Those are a bit challenging when you are not familiar with them, or simply out of practice - as was the case for me a few jumps before the photo was taken. Due to an injury last year, I haven't been riding much, let alone jumping. The above photo was taken a week and a half ago, and the jump had a steep face. It took a few jumps to readapt myself to steep face jumps.

As you know, you load the front of the bike coming up the face of the jump, but then at the right time, you do have to shift your weight back a bit more than what you would on a "normal" jump. This takes a bit of practice, of course.

Some of the smaller, steep-faced jumps built for 20" bikes can also be a bit difficult. Oddly enough, I sometimes find the larger jumps to be a little more friendly.

Also, if your front end is dropping to fast (read, wanting to endo), it may be a result of not enough rebound damping on your rear shock. If that is the case, perhaps the rear of your bike is bucking upward.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I'm no jumping expert, but I think you should just stick with it. You'll figure it out how to deal with it and make it work. And just remeber that its no DJ bike so it will be better suited for DH style kickers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.