Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Visited the LBS yesterday with intention of getting me WB.8 or Reba 29er forks I've been lurking for a while to pair up with my XL sized monkey. After the intensive shopping and price asking I walked from the shop with XL sized Rig I've been testing a few times.

Did not see any point of purchasing 600$ forks as I can get the whole package in fairly good price. At home the goverment seemed quite understandinghowever I still got some of those"Oh please shoot me, shoot me know.." looks ;)

But what know? I was thinkin to transfer all goodies( hydrauic brakes, nice cockpit, saddle and cranks etc) from KM to Rig and see how it really handles in the familiar trails and if it's good them adjust KM as a commuter. However if GF does not inspire me I just put the forks to my KM and do something for the frame and most of the parts.

Now I'd realy like to know how others do compare KM and Rig in trail. KM feels very fast and is fairly comfy, like my old jeans. Yeah, you KM owners know what I'm talking about. But can aluminium Rig feel good and give inspiration to a person who has got used to steel and ti frames..

Uups I did it again.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually after last evenings 3h ride I can say that I do like it. It is not so comfy ride I've been used to but still quite nice. The 29er idea really compensates the bad sides of aluminium. At first Rig felt not so turny and quite rough but after some fine tuning the tire pressures and cockpit it started to felt like a proper trailmachine and by the time I was back home it almost fit like a glove.

I did some part swapping and I think that I leave Rig as my main trailmachine now, atleast for a while. Then perhaps after some point have to try KM and Reba but we'll see..

Here they are like two XL sized brothers, not identical thou...

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Mighty nice Sstable!

You can still swap out the forks, and have one really light, and one really plush bike.

Sometimes I like balancing parts over bikes to get each on a fair weight, sometimes it's cool to concentrte all the light stuff on the lightest frame, and have something remarkable.

The matt green fork on a shiny purple frame would certainly be a fashion risk, but Rigs seems to do very well with a KM fork, I've seen several of those already.

·
I like bikes
480 Posts
KM with Gears?

Jr.M said:
Actually after last evenings 3h ride I can say that I do like it. It is not so comfy ride I've been used to but still quite nice. The 29er idea really compensates the bad sides of aluminium. At first Rig felt not so turny and quite rough but after some fine tuning the tire pressures and cockpit it started to felt like a proper trailmachine and by the time I was back home it almost fit like a glove.

I did some part swapping and I think that I leave Rig as my main trailmachine now, atleast for a while. Then perhaps after some point have to try KM and Reba but we'll see..

Here they are like two XL sized brothers, not identical thou...

How about turning the KM in a geared bike? Then you would have two different bikes. Just a thought :) Also the Thudbuster feels great on my Rig

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KM as a street racer

Ok so have now been rolling in the trails with th Rig for a some time now. Sweet ride for aluminium one an decided to keep it as my main trail-machine with some more upgrades.

The destiny of the KM has also been solved. You can see its current presence in the picture here . It still needs atleast a longer 0-5degree stem and Flite saddle and some changes in gearing. Stil it allready rides my journey to office and back like one really happy monkey.. :D

·
Registered
649 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay for your Rig in euros?
Did you buy in Helsinki? Which shop?
I am keen on test riding one, want to sample my first option for a SS-29er ride.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm about 6'3" and riding XL sixed frames both on the Rig and the monkey. The Rig is really tall frame, at first it felt like a train in the trails but after got used to it it rides like a dream if there is not some really tight and technical parts, in those it is not so turny..

And yes I bought it here from my LBS. The suggested retail price in europe is 1290€ I think but lets put it this way: I got it so cheap that when I heard the price from my LBS owner I didn't have much choice than to get it. And disclaimer: Yes I'm fairly good customer for my LBS and I have also participated some mtb-events in their colours. So go and figure..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.