Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I was wondering... I was thinking of buying a domain 302 u-turn (115-160, 2008 model), and I wondering if it would be possible to make it the 180mm version without too much cost (i.e. no new uppers, maybe new springs, under 50 bucks). I'd just like the slightly taller fork for my bike if possible. If I could make it u-turn and 180mm, that would be even sweeter.

if all else fails, I can live with 160mm...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Bryguy17 said:
so I was wondering... I was thinking of buying a domain 302 u-turn (115-160, 2008 model), and I wondering if it would be possible to make it the 180mm version without too much cost (i.e. no new uppers, maybe new springs, under 50 bucks). I'd just like the slightly taller fork for my bike if possible. If I could make it u-turn and 180mm, that would be even sweeter.

Hi, I've looked into that too. The only option as far as I can tell is to drop the fork to 140mm using a Pike UT spring. It is not possible to increase the travel.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Bryguy17 said:

Why don't you just buy a 180mm?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rufusdesign said:
Why don't you just buy a 180mm?
it's used and a good price. just need something to tide me over until the new boxxers come out. then it's boxxer team all the way :cool:

whatever. depending on how big my paycheck tomorrow is, I think I'll go for it and deal with the 1* steeper HA for awhile. it's the factory size for a reignX anyway...

·
Registered
473 Posts
looking at the parts diagrams, it should be doable, just expensive- replace rebound damper w/ 180mm model, replace u-turn spring w/ 180mm fixed spring, the rest should be fine. Can add the Motion Control doodad and a control knob if you want a 318.

This assumes the 160 and 180 use the same uppers. Making a 180mm with Uturn apparently needs parts from a Boxxer Ride, not sure which though, I'll be tackling that project this spring :)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so, I was perusing the parts catalog for rock shox, and looking at part numbers etc.

it appears that the only difference as far as that catalog says between the two fork lengths is the spring shaft. no difference is shown for either the uppers (only options are steer tube size), nor the rebound cart (only labeled rebound cart). the spring shaft does make a distinction though.

thinking, new spring shaft and coil spring (non u-turn), and it'll work...

can anyone possibly confirm that the rebound carts and uppers are the same?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if anyone cares, I got it confirmed that the upper assemblies and rebound cartridges for the domains DO NOT change between 160 and 180mm models. just a new top cap, spring shaft and spring are needed to convert a 160mm (u-turn, single travel, etc) to a 180mm all travel fork. woot

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.