Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the temps hanging close to the same for the next few days - it should stay that way for a while.

Ambient temp is 25 today...the trail was about 99% hard pack, with a narrow, ridable center line throughout the park thanks to the hikers/runners. And there were no other bike tracks to be found.

Just don't get off that center line...pushing through that crusty deep stuff is like pedaling straight up a tree.

·
Goofing off?
441 Posts
bikeCOLORADO said:
With the temps hanging close to the same for the next few days - it should stay that way for a while.

Ambient temp is 25 today...the trail was about 99% hard pack, with a narrow, ridable center line throughout the park thanks to the hikers/runners. And there were no other bike tracks to be found.

Just don't get off that center line...pushing through that crusty deep stuff is like pedaling straight up a tree.
So if the conditions were great with the ice and 25 degree temps, what would call it if it was tacky, 70 degrees and there were hundred dollar bills on the sides of the trail versus snow? ;)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ice?

Hard pack snow...no ice. Anytime I can ride is "great conditions" I suppose - and I like adverse conditions as much as a "perfect day".

If the Benjamins were hanging from branches where I could grab and stuff them in my pockets as I ride...now that's a wet dream.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
bikeCOLORADO said:
If the Benjamins were hanging from branches where I could grab and stuff them in my pockets as I ride...now that's a wet dream.
Your wet dreams involve money? Interesting. Mine usually involve chicks. To each their own, I suppose. :thumbsup:

_MK

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
After my stomach feels better from looking at that pic I think I will shoot out in the next few days and checkout Ute, anyone in?

Lower canyon was good on Sat, well, except the upper Columbine connector was kinda sucky, we saw a car right next to the trail that probably rolled a 100yds down the hillside off GC rd.

·
I think I can.
1,242 Posts
What, you don't like riding on a railroad tie size trail mile after mile and if you fall out of the grove you come to a complete stop, what fun is that.

I had a great time and to be honest rr, I would be up for riding ute this week, maybe kchri can join for a lunch ride, how much snow did you get at your house?

We have another 8" up here.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
JOEMTBR COLORADO said:
What, you don't like riding on a railroad tie size trail mile after mile and if you fall out of the grove you come to a complete stop, what fun is that.

I had a great time and to be honest rr, I would be up for riding ute this week, maybe kchri can join for a lunch ride, how much snow did you get at your house?

We have another 8" up here.
Less than 2", not much, I bet Ute will be ridable. How about tomm mid day?

·
Shoulda went faster
306 Posts
Ute conditions monday

I rode the park Saturday and it was actually enjoyable! 90% hardpack snow.

I hiked it today at lunch and it still looks good. As long as it doesn't heat up too fast tomorrow it should be good!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had to bag on Ute yesterday...freaking work anyways.

I don't think anything in the area is going to be good for riding except for early mornings when it's all still froooozen. The stuff is melting like crazy - I imagine Ute and Palmer are both a mess right now.

I just finished riding a road loop up in Mt Shadows area...lots of slushy, lots of runoff and tons of sand.

And...yes Palmer WAS great on Saturday.

Anyone up for some early morning rides this week to avoid the inevitable mid morning thaw and slop?

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
Rode Ute Valley last night...

Trail was 99% ridable. Very firm packed snow and almost no ice. I did have studded tires on my ss, however. Hikers have done a nice job packing down the center of trail. It was like riding fine narrow singletrack in FU...a lot slower speed of course. The 5-6 mile loop took one hr to ride.

Third pix is the worst condition I encountered...very soft due to lack of foot traffic. Last two pix are trail condition of section where some considered to be the most technical at Ute Valley.

Today weather warmed up so it could me messy.

Attachments

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Hey I went out today around 11, bad idea, soft snow cond's and messy in spots, plenty of hikeabike. I was jonesing to ride the RFX though and couldn't get out earlier, it's gonna get messy there with the warm temps and melting snow this week, oh well, it would have to be a real early ride to beat the muck.

STH- the trail off the top of the bluff was totally ridable but got mucky right after the techy section(going east), I ended up turning around and taking a right and headed down to the valley and out.

The ST that parallels the road from HP to the hotel was very messy in spots, and deep soft snow too.

·
Inflexable...
1,901 Posts
Thanks for the report Rick. Shoeing was good. We broke new trail most of the way. At least 6-10 fresh...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.