Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am from Utah but haven't ridden there for a long time.
Living in CA. now
Coming in with some friends in July.
Any suggestions on some good single tracks.
Anywhere from SLC to Provo.
Names are fine I can look them up on this site.

Thanks
Ex Alta Ski Bum

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
bla bla bla

Check out utahmountainbiking.com. great directory of trails with fantastic descriptions. Maybe if you gaice us a little more info on what you want to find we could help you better. How long of rides do you like? Hows your fitness? There are probably 1500 miles of singletrack in the area you are describing. Technical or smooth?? like to be alone or do you like the company/saftey of populated trails. Maybe you could describe your Idea of the perfect trail. maybe we all should. I'll go first.

I ride for solitude. Not that I do not like to see other trail users. I do, but sometimes the trail running moms with thier triple wide big wheel strollers and pack of dalmations are just in the way. Its great to see people enjoying the outdoors, and they have just as much right to be there as I do, but my perfect trail would screen them out. How you might ask? With a climb a big big singletrack climb. Steep, rocky, switchbacks, all the good stuff. Maybe a 5000 ft climb over the first 5 miles or so. My zen trail would have absolutly no possibility of a shuttle. The climb is a filter. It keeps those that do not understand away. The only people I would see up here would love the challenge a really big climb presents just like me.
This perfect climb would have a reward. As always the view from the top. This particular view would be of a city, because my perfect ride is ridden from my doorstep. I hate putting bikes in cars. The racks scratch them , and I always forget something. Helmet usually. I don't know what the perfect downhill would be for me because I like them all so much. I love to go fast over smooth flowey trails, but I also like technical desents. I like those things that the first time you see them you think "WTF people ride thier bikes down that". Pretty soon you see one of your friends do it, and think "well its totally rideable I can do it", but it still takes 6 attempts to clean it the first time. After this its no problem. you ride it everytime, and tell people "its not that bad you just have to stay to the left".
Another feature of the perfect desent is that it would be understood that it is only a desent. Like the bobsled on the shoreline there is no rule against going up it, no consequence for doing so it is just understood that this is the way down. Desending is just no fun if I am worried about skewering the person coming uphill around a blind cornor. One way only. The final feature of my perfect desent is that it would lead to what else but the start of the perfect climb. There would be a water fountain at the bottom of course, and cell phone coverage so I can call my girlfriend and tell her that I cannot go to her friends reception tonight, and ask if she will bring me my lights so I can ride another lap. She would not only bring me my lights, but she would bring her bike becuase she does not like me to ride alone in the dark. Sometimes I really think she understands.

Whats your idea of the perfect ride?? Any idea where I can find mine?

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Wow...

If I weren't already married, I think I would be in love! :p

Except shuttles don't bother me some days. But we could work that out.

JMH

Pedalfaraway said:
Check out utahmountainbiking.com. great directory of trails with fantastic descriptions. Maybe if you gaice us a little more info on what you want to find we could help you better. How long of rides do you like? Hows your fitness? There are probably 1500 miles of singletrack in the area you are describing. Technical or smooth?? like to be alone or do you like the company/saftey of populated trails. Maybe you could describe your Idea of the perfect trail. maybe we all should. I'll go first.

I ride for solitude. Not that I do not like to see other trail users. I do, but sometimes the trail running moms with thier triple wide big wheel strollers and pack of dalmations are just in the way. Its great to see people enjoying the outdoors, and they have just as much right to be there as I do, but my perfect trail would screen them out. How you might ask? With a climb a big big singletrack climb. Steep, rocky, switchbacks, all the good stuff. Maybe a 5000 ft climb over the first 5 miles or so. My zen trail would have absolutly no possibility of a shuttle. The climb is a filter. It keeps those that do not understand away. The only people I would see up here would love the challenge a really big climb presents just like me.
This perfect climb would have a reward. As always the view from the top. This particular view would be of a city, because my perfect ride is ridden from my doorstep. I hate putting bikes in cars. The racks scratch them , and I always forget something. Helmet usually. I don't know what the perfect downhill would be for me because I like them all so much. I love to go fast over smooth flowey trails, but I also like technical desents. I like those things that the first time you see them you think "WTF people ride thier bikes down that". Pretty soon you see one of your friends do it, and think "well its totally rideable I can do it", but it still takes 6 attempts to clean it the first time. After this its no problem. you ride it everytime, and tell people "its not that bad you just have to stay to the left".
Another feature of the perfect desent is that it would be understood that it is only a desent. Like the bobsled on the shoreline there is no rule against going up it, no consequence for doing so it is just understood that this is the way down. Desending is just no fun if I am worried about skewering the person coming uphill around a blind cornor. One way only. The final feature of my perfect desent is that it would lead to what else but the start of the perfect climb. There would be a water fountain at the bottom of course, and cell phone coverage so I can call my girlfriend and tell her that I cannot go to her friends reception tonight, and ask if she will bring me my lights so I can ride another lap. She would not only bring me my lights, but she would bring her bike becuase she does not like me to ride alone in the dark. Sometimes I really think she understands.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
perfect trail

Thanks for the input, I'll check out the suggested website. We know the area fairly well just wanted to check out local input.
I like to ride alone or with no more then about 4 others. We ride 3-4 days mtn. 1-2 days road. min. ride 90 mins.
We will try to climb almost anything. I ride with some ex DH racers, they are helping me become better at that.
So we are looking for intermediate - advanced rides. The only problem we will have is the altitude living at sea level. Doesn't bother me skiing but I know it does climbing on a bike.

What is the best bike shop in town for mtn. bikes?

thanks

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
90 min rides with lots of climbing and fun desents some of my favs

1 Solitude intermountain cup racecourse (i think it is listed on utahmountainbiking)
Beauiful scenery, big climb to get to the top super fun desent 95% singletrack Only downside is that it will exasterbate your altitude acclimation problems. I think the resort is at like 7000 feet and there is a big climb from there.
2. Bonneville shoreline trail. One of the lowest elevation trails in the valley. Close to the city, great views of the city. Lots of different trailheads and ride options. My fav is to start at city creek climb to the top of the Bobseld, Down bobsled to popperton park. Rejoin the trail at drycreek climb drycreek back to the top of bobsled. Rebobsled and take the 11th ave road return to the car.
3. Millcreek pipeline to Dog lake. Most people park below the guardshack and ride the road to the trailhead at the top, and then desend the trail back to the car. Don't be a pu$$y tho. Bring your climbing legs and suffer up rattlesnake gulch. Its a big climb, but only .5 miles or so in length. Take the trail all the way to grandur peak where you will end up back on the road a few miles from the Big water trailhead. Go to bigwater and climb to dog lake. Reverse course back to your car. You can also access the famous wasatch crest trail from bigwater. Most people shuttle the crest from the top of big cottonwood and have a car pick them up at bigwater.

Hope some of that helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.