Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Paste eater
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The social culture there is, well, a little different. While I have no predujice towards anyones faith, the Mormon influence can't be denied. I guess I'm more curious than anything how fellow mt bikers live in The area and how they like it? I suppose my question is more aimed at folks who call the southern area their home.

·
NOT Team Sanchez
1,973 Posts
South huh? I hail from StG, where are you located? Yes, Utah culture is different and also influenced by Mormons (LDS make up over half the state's pop. and in a democracy it's easy to see the majority's influence) the same way Rome is influenced by Catholicism, Jerusalem by the Jews, or Mecca by Muslims. Where did you move from? And lastly, WELCOME!

BTW, the attitude you bring with you determines your happiness no matter where you go, you seem to have a good one, that's great!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'd say the influence is harsher if you have kids in school, that's who feels the brunt of it imo. Sure there's relatively no night life and the more diverse cultural growth is severely stunted but it's not nearly as bad as it was growing up 15-20 years ago, the area has actually come quite a ways. Luckily my world centers mostly around the canyon which feels nothing like Utah. It has become extremely diverse and rather liberal over the past years.

·
Paste eater
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dhzion said:
I'd say the influence is harsher if you have kids in school, that's who feels the brunt of it imo. Sure there's relatively no night life and the more diverse cultural growth is severely stunted but it's not nearly as bad as it was growing up 15-20 years ago, the area has actually come quite a ways. Luckily my world centers mostly around the canyon which feels nothing like Utah. It has become extremely diverse and rather liberal over the past years.
When you say "the canyon" what do you mean?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Culture-wise, we're mostly a bunch of vegan hipsters that ride funny-colored fixies with really narrow bars.

But no more "private clubs". So things do actually change.

·
Paste eater
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
steveinslc said:
Culture-wise, we're mostly a bunch of vegan hipsters that ride funny-colored fixies with really narrow bars.
Hmmmm, not from what i saw. That's what I'M used too for better and for worse.
steveinslc said:
But no more "private clubs". So things do actually change.
Saw that, suppose that's a good thing.

·
Flacko
267 Posts
Jwind said:
When you say "the canyon" what do you mean?
they mean Little Cottonwood Canyon...haven to many "non-typical" utards. also home to Alta and Snowbird, and some damn fine powder skiing.

at any rate, having lived in (7years) and around utah (15) I can say it just..well different.
having kids in school would be different than my non parenting experience, but it's not exactly different good or different bad. REALLY WHITE. pretty suburban, but in SLC there certainly is a diverse group of people and cultures. pretty big gay and lesbian scene in Downtown/sugarhouse area. big ole "canyon" scene complete with ex patriots from vermont,michigan,NY,washington,cali,minnesota, pretty much everywhere. The university scene. etc.
again much different than ANYWHERE else.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sorry, I should have specified, Zion. I've lived around here my whole life and have never known Little Cottonwood Canyon to be in Southern Utah, but you learn something new everyday I suppose. The small communities right outside Zion are not at all your typical Utah.

·
Fragglepuss The Chaste
2,119 Posts
I think dhzion pretty much nailed it on the head.
I moved here from Chicago right before the 5th grade right into the heart of Sandy next to the Willow Creek Country Club. One would think that with all those 'professionals', ie...doctors, lawyers, dentists and educated people that lived there there would be a bit more tollerance. Wasn't the case. I experienced more prejudice here as a kid than I saw towards the blacks when I lived in NC and GA. Don't let the glossy, dough eyed, soft voices fool you.
In hind sight it was extremely hypocritical to have a group of people who worship a pedophile and a polygamist (Joseph Smith and Brigham Young) judge some little kid because they don't feel that adults f#cking multiple underage girls and then forcing them into marriage is a decent way to live their life. But whatever. I'm all for f#cking a bunch of girls at once but let's make certain they've held a driver's license for a couple of years and then leave after we're done.
Then to force some pretty backwards laws (until a few days ago) as a way to punish those who don't worship those perverts seems pretty assinine. If there were any morality in the laws here they would level BYU and throw all the polygamists in prison rather than turning their back or making a small scene with a couple every decade or so. Cracks me up to see people with BYU shirts and stickers. Do you really know what it is you're promoting? Seriously. Makes about as much sense as a Southern Baptist running around with a Hustler magazine t-shirt.

Like dhzion mentioned, it HAS gotten better and my guess is that it has to do a lot with all the people moving up the I-15 corridor from So. Cal to St. George then Cedar City, Salt Lake and finally Denver. Although that seems to have brought more than a few uptight So. Cal hikers who don't understand the concept of multi-use. Sure the night life sucks if you're into techno fancy night clubs with hoardes of hot girls, fast beats and watered down drinks. Those come and go pretty quickly (I think Banana Joe's lasted 6-8 months). I've heard from a lot of women I work with that they hate those clubs here as they can't dance without a line of little guys grinding their angry inch on their backside, dry humping them to death. I guess this is a Utah thing as they say when they go to Vegas it doesn't happen.

One thing that is nice, is that on Sunday half the population is sitting inside a little brick building with next to no landscaping all day-in a suit and tie none-the-less. Just blows me away. You get two days off a week and you spend one of those days sitting inside with a f#cking tie on. JFC! Oh well, less people means a lot more fun so keep it up!

Have fun on your little planet f#cking a bunch of fat chicks after you die.

·
Paste eater
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
slcrockymountainrider said:
I think dhzion pretty much nailed it on the head.
I moved here from Chicago right before the 5th grade right into the heart of Sandy next to the Willow Creek Country Club. One would think that with all those 'professionals', ie...doctors, lawyers, dentists and educated people that lived there there would be a bit more tollerance. Wasn't the case. I experienced more prejudice here as a kid than I saw towards the blacks when I lived in NC and GA. Don't let the glossy, dough eyed, soft voices fool you.
In hind sight it was extremely hypocritical to have a group of people who worship a pedophile and a polygamist (Joseph Smith and Brigham Young) judge some little kid because they don't feel that adults f#cking multiple underage girls and then forcing them into marriage is a decent way to live their life. But whatever. I'm all for f#cking a bunch of girls at once but let's make certain they've held a driver's license for a couple of years and then leave after we're done.
Then to force some pretty backwards laws (until a few days ago) as a way to punish those who don't worship those perverts seems pretty assinine. If there were any morality in the laws here they would level BYU and throw all the polygamists in prison rather than turning their back or making a small scene with a couple every decade or so. Cracks me up to see people with BYU shirts and stickers. Do you really know what it is you're promoting? Seriously. Makes about as much sense as a Southern Baptist running around with a Hustler magazine t-shirt.

Like dhzion mentioned, it HAS gotten better and my guess is that it has to do a lot with all the people moving up the I-15 corridor from So. Cal to St. George then Cedar City, Salt Lake and finally Denver. Although that seems to have brought more than a few uptight So. Cal hikers who don't understand the concept of multi-use. Sure the night life sucks if you're into techno fancy night clubs with hoardes of hot girls, fast beats and watered down drinks. Those come and go pretty quickly (I think Banana Joe's lasted 6-8 months). I've heard from a lot of women I work with that they hate those clubs here as they can't dance without a line of little guys grinding their angry inch on their backside, dry humping them to death. I guess this is a Utah thing as they say when they go to Vegas it doesn't happen.

One thing that is nice, is that on Sunday half the population is sitting inside a little brick building with next to no landscaping all day-in a suit and tie none-the-less. Just blows me away. You get two days off a week and you spend one of those days sitting inside with a f#cking tie on. JFC! Oh well, less people means a lot more fun so keep it up!

Have fun on your little planet f#cking a bunch of fat chicks after you die.
Very entertaining post. Can't say i disagree really. I'm really not one to force my ideologies on others, let alone faith. Never mind the fact that i suppose i'm an atheist. Although extremely peculiar and way out of my scope of comprehension, i do find Mormonism very interesting exclusively from a disbelieve stand point.

I don't have any interest in in flashy nightclubs. I do love beer and transitioning from beertopia would be toughy but certainly palatable considering the playtime opportunities.

Being 28 and single might present some issues.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Couple other funny things while the subject is out there.

Mormons outside the state are nowhere near as bad as ones in the "holy land".

The quality of "freak" here, whether it be white trash hessians down south or mega emo techno junkies up north the religious influence imo pushes them far beyond the norm.

·
Paste eater
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dhzion said:
Couple other funny things while the subject is out there.

Mormons outside the state are nowhere near as bad as ones in the "holy land".

The quality of "freak" here, whether it be white trash hessians down south or mega emo techno junkies up north the religious influence imo pushes them far beyond the norm.
I kinda like the "freaks". Keeps things interesting and for the most part i find them pretty harmless.

·
Is it winter yet?
255 Posts
I always wanted a pair of their magic underpants. Thought that would be a great thing to own, just as a conversation piece. When people come over, you can ask them if they want to see your special underpants.

·
NOT Team Sanchez
1,973 Posts
I know we're different, but the truth of the matter is that by what some of you (not all of you) have said you've revealed much about your intolerance, ignorance, and character than what you've purported about LDS. There's being funny, I don't mind a jab, I'm cool if you're going to be cool, about half my biking buddies aren't LDS. Then there's being mean and offensive, and you've pushed it too far. I laugh at the phenomenon I call cyber courage, if you meet me try saying this stuff to my face, I dare you.

Furthermore, this is a biking website, not a religious debate, keep it on subject.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Flame me if you want but here is a little biking joke.

Why do you take two Mo's with you biking?
I you only take one he will drink all your beer at the end of the ride.
Ha ha

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
slcrockymountainrider said:
Is that a big chip on your shoulder or are you just happy to see me?

What exactly am I promoting when I wear a BYU shirt?

Throw the polygamists in prison for what? Texas must be run my mormons, that's why that stint last year with the FLDS turned out the way it did!

Are you seriously saying you have issues with people being in a committed relationship but you don't have issues with casual sex?

·
Bored Carp
1,596 Posts
Utah is what you make of it. If you are determined to be unhappy you will be unhappy. If you are a happy person, then you are stoked.

I am kind of sad that the private club rule has changed. I never did find the little membership fees to be particularly daunting (no worse than a $9 beer at bars in LA, for sure), and anything that keeps us weird keeps the population down.

·
NOT Team Sanchez
1,973 Posts
exactly

chuky said:
Utah is what you make of it. If you are determined to be unhappy you will be unhappy. If you are a happy person, then you are stoked.

This is what I was trying to get across at the top of this thread, the attitude you have makes or breaks you, not where you live.

·
Fragglepuss The Chaste
2,119 Posts
Ruinane said:
Is that a big chip on your shoulder or are you just happy to see me?

What exactly am I promoting when I wear a BYU shirt?

Throw the polygamists in prison for what? Texas must be run my mormons, that's why that stint last year with the FLDS turned out the way it did!

Are you seriously saying you have issues with people being in a committed relationship but you don't have issues with casual sex?
History is history, so own up to it. Trying to sweep it under the rug to cover up something pretty horrible IMO and then start a religion around it and force under laws a sense of morals is extremely hypocritical.
I also find it odd when the 4th of July falls on a Sunday and it's celebrated on the 3rd or 5th or whatever. If it wasn't for the events of the 4th of July, we wouldn't be having this dialogue. If you didn't understand what I was saying that you're touting when wearing a BYU shirt, then you're just another failure of the Utah education system. Oh, we don't have a problem giving 10% of our income in membership fee's but we'll be damned if we'll spend a couple hundred dollars in taxes for our 7+ kids to improve education.

Seems the damage has come full circle in your case both financially and intellectually.

Actually, I don't have issues with casual sex. In fact, if I could screw a different person or more, each night I would be totally down for that. I do have issues with people being in a committed relationship when its with multiple underage girls and the person claims to be some sort of spiritual leader or whatever and then pass judgement on others.

I recall a certain FLDS leader being tried and convicted in St. George, UT, not Texas.

Sorry, didn't really follow your first line. Maybe try that again.

But whatever. I really enjoy the state on Sunday when the trails are void of people.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.