Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Team Fearless Descender
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
June 2006 - our annual 2 week mountain bike road trip. This year we decided to make a grand loop of the south-west. 2000+ miles of driving, revisiting a favorite trail in Utah, five days in Crested Butte, a ride in Durango, and one in Flagstaff.

We loaded up and headed out on Monday, June 19th. 510 miles from West Los Angeles to Panguitch, UT. We'd visited Panguitch and ridden trails in the Red Canyon area before, so it would be nice to return and ride Thunder Mountain. We had stayed at the Color Country Motel in Panguitch before, and knew that the owners used to live near where we do now. While speaking to them to book our room, they asked about the Tito's Tacos in Culver City, CA. We told them that it was still there, and as crowded as ever. They said that if, by chance, we could somehow bring some salsa and chips with us, they "might" be able to cut us a deal on the room. The night before we hit the road, we stood in line (at 10pm!) and got them what they asked for.

Tuesday the 20th we rode a favorite, Thunder Mountain in the Red Canyon area of SW Utah, just a few miles out of Panguitch.

Nature Natural environment Plant Plant community Landscape

Bicycle frame Mountain bike Bicycle wheel Sports equipment Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Clothing Wheel Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle frame

·
Team Fearless Descender
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Wednesday morning we loaded up and hit the road towards Fruita, CO. We had originally planned on staying two nights there, and doing some riding, but the temperatures were creeping up into the high 90s as our trip neared its start, so we only made Fruita a driving stop and a place to sleep. We did visit OTE(Over the Edge) Bike Shop in Fruita and picked up a map for next time. Everyone was super friendly at the shop. They invited us on their evening "shop ride", but not being acclimated to the high (that high) temperatures, we decided to pass.

Thursday, we loaded up and made the 165 mile drive into Crested Butte. WOW! What a place! Talk about beautiful! This IS the place to be. No doubt. Between the trails, the town, and the amazingly friendly locals, this was really a magical place to be.

Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle

It didn't hurt that the Fat Tire Mountain Bike Festival was going on. The town was packed with bikes, bikes of all types: mountain bikes, road bikes, and "clunkers." We met our new friend and local, Mel at The Brick Oven Pizza outdoor bar after our fist ride. It's cool, you just finish your ride by riding right into town…pull up on your bike and grab a bar stool. We seemed to hit it off with Mel. She was truly genuine and filled us in on where to eat and what to see. We ended up being "served" by her twice again during our stay. Thanks Mel!

Eyewear Smile Drink Alcohol Barware

We rode three of the classic trails of Crested Butte: Snodgrass Trail, Strand Hill, and the legendary 401.

Snodgrass Trail:

Vegetation Nature Mountainous landforms Natural landscape Natural environment

Bicycle wheel Natural environment Plant Bicycle frame Mountain bike

Nature Bicycle frame Mountainous landforms Bicycle tire Highland

·
Team Fearless Descender
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
401 Trail:

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle frame

Mountainous landforms Highland Hill Natural landscape Landscape

I had previously met up (via www.mtbr.com) with Chuck and his wife, Kristin, while researching trails in the Crested Butte area, here on mtbr.com. Chuck and his wife were visiting from Texas. We met up with them and rode the 401 together. Chuck, when we make it out to Texas, we'll look you up and do a ride! Thanks to you and Kristin for the great ride!

Clothing Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
WOW,

That is so cool that you and your buddies took the time to get chips and slasa for someone that lived there years ago.

Over the past 13 years of mtn biking my favorite thing about it is the people you meet. Cycling IMO brings out the better in people.

Back in '98 I did a five week, mtn bike/ hike/ camping/ backpacking trip across the four corners. good times good times. Memories I still think about to this day and will still think about 20 years from.

Hope you share more pics. Looks like a trip of a lifetime.

·
Team Fearless Descender
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In town, we also bumped into Danny and his family. Danny rides a Ventana, and like ants to candy, we found each other one afternoon in town and started talking bikes. Danny and his clan were out from northern California. I do intend to hook up with him in N. Cal!

Bicycle helmet Helmet Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Mammal Personal protective equipment

We also bumped in to a few others in CB that you might know…

Denim Jeans Rim Spoke Bicycle wheel rim

Smile Sleeve Facial expression Cap Jacket

·
Team Fearless Descender
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Tuesday the 27th we were off. As hard as it was to leave CB, our schedule demanded it. 200 miles later we were in Durango. Wednesday we did a Durango classic, the Colorado Trail to Gudy's Rest, and then to Hoffheins Trail, Dry Fork, and back to the Colorado Trail.

Clothing Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

The ride started in the clear blue skies of southern Colorado, and ended with us barely outrunning a huge thunder storm and ducking into our motel right as the downpour started.

That afternoon we enjoyed old town Durango.

Text Amber Font Signage Electronic signage

Thursday the 29th we were off to Flagstaff, AZ, by way of New Mexico. This was a driving day - 365miles.

Friday our plan was to ride the Sunset Trail Loop. We geared up, and drove over to the trailhead.

Yellow Sign Signage Hazard Traffic sign

Unfortunately, due to the wild fires in the nearby forest, we were shutout. We obeyed the signs and called it a day.

Saturday the 1st of July it was time to make the push back to LA. 465 miles and seven hours later we were home.

What a trip! Every place we visited was great, but I'd have to say Crested Butte was the topper. Make it a point to visit this town! Ride their trails and visit their bars and restaurants. The locals are about as down to earth and friendly as you could ever want, and their trails are among the most beautiful and fun you'll ever ride.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Excellent Pics!! It was fantastic meeting you and your wife. Looking forward to riding with you two again. Come on down to Texas and we'll treat y'all right. (or get back to CO before the summer ends. We'll take ya on some rides here in Golden. )

Chuck & Kristin

·
EDR
10,433 Posts
Very nice. Sorry you missed Flag. Much of the Coconino National Forest (including the Flagstaff area but not Sedona/Oak Creek) re-opened on July 2nd. Bummer you went all that way and missed it by a day. Sounds like fun none-the-less.

·
Registered
68 Posts
sounds like an awesome trip. And i got all giddy hearing about Tito's taco. I grew up in Los Angeles area and i have an uncle who would always make a stop there and pick me up a bean and cheese burrito and chips and salsa. They rock. i'm in Flagstaff now, but i still make a trip to visit family and always go back to Tito's.

·
Team Fearless Descender
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
cmaas73 - Next time out we'll do the SW loop "counter-clockwise", hitting Flagstaff first. Promis to show us your fav riding spots and we'll bring the Tito's!!!!

Thanks to everyone for the coments.

Missed it (Coconino National Forest) by a day! Ugh... Oh well, there WILL be a next time! We had a blast.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sounds like a great trip

Your thoughts on Crested Butte are just like my own. Truly a wonderful place.

Next time you are in the Durango area, you should try out the high country rides. You just might decide, like myself, that it is your new favorite place

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.