Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this was a forum for mountain biking and sociopolitical badgering.

Oh yeah, and I caught 5-7 of the freshies at Brundage on Saturday. Which was nice until the snowboarders hacked it all to snot. Best early season skiing I've had since I lived in Crested Butte.

·
Registered
203 Posts
OK......I can go two for two.

Rode Rocky Canyon to Trail 7/5 Mile Creek loop and down Three Bears yesterday.....it was a blast!

Steubner/Bullard in todays Idaho Statesman Reader Views took pot shots at Chris Cook's anti Boulder/White Clouds wilderness stance.......good read if you haven't checked it out.

How's that Twisted?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
What can I say? We have 4 feet of snow on our trails. MTB season is over for me unless I want to drive an hour just to ride a muddy dirt road somewhere (I don't).

Besides, when you think about it, snowboarding is like biking in that they are both single track vehicles. So snowboarding is like cross training because you have to pick similar lines and balance on a single "rail".

Unlike skiing which is more like driving an ATV. :p

·
TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dir-T said:
Besides, when you think about it, snowboarding is like biking in that they are both single track vehicles. So snowboarding is like cross training because you have to pick similar lines and balance on a single "rail".

Unlike skiing which is more like driving an ATV. :p
Au Contraire youth! The width of a snowboard is more than double the width even the most absurdly wide powder ski. Now tell me which winter toy causes more impact to an otherwise pristine slope. This is further compounded by the fact that most snowboarders are in fact sliders and haven't the foggiest notion how to actually carve and balance on the "rail" of which you speak so fondly. This unfortunate artifact is due to the fact that unlike skiing, which is easy to learn and difficult to master, snowboarding is difficult to learn and easy to master. So long we're trading bait I might as well quote the famous K2 bumper sticker that stated in regards to telemark skiing: "If it were easy it would be called snowboarding".

Besides, I've got enough $800 winter sliding toys around the house to keep me busy.

·
Wandervans
2,084 Posts
yeah those damm snowboarders

TwistedCrank said:
Au Contraire youth! The width of a snowboard is more than double the width even the most absurdly wide powder ski. Now tell me which winter toy causes more impact to an otherwise pristine slope. This is further compounded by the fact that most snowboarders are in fact sliders and haven't the foggiest notion how to actually carve and balance on the "rail" of which you speak so fondly. This unfortunate artifact is due to the fact that unlike skiing, which is easy to learn and difficult to master, snowboarding is difficult to learn and easy to master. So long we're trading bait I might as well quote the famous K2 bumper sticker that stated in regards to telemark skiing: "If it were easy it would be called snowboarding".

Besides, I've got enough $800 winter sliding toys around the house to keep me busy.
why do sucky snowboarders think it is cool to clogged up the black diamond runs and plow down a run they obviously should not be on. Or why is it cool to sit you lazy snowboard ass down in the middle of the slope! If you can't properly snowboard a black diamond then stick to the blues and greens...or the lodge.

I would say snowboarding is more like riding an atv. People who can't ride a dirt bike buy atvs because they are easier. Same thing with snowboarding, people who don't want to learn to ski take up snowboarding because it is easier.

I skiied mt hood this weekend, nice fresh powder on saturday and then nice sun on sunday.

·
aaarrrggghh!
631 Posts
Pics of your bike??????

I always get a laugh from the number of people here who take pics of their bikes leaning against various props and post them on the board. Pics are alway better than no pics but it still makes me laugh to see all the people who love their bikes so much they take pics of them with wonderful landscapes in the background, like they're family members.Maybe they are ;). Looks like some of you got out during the holiday to ride and enjoy the lack of inversion. I didn't and I'm bitter about it.

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
Ivan the Terrible said:
I always get a laugh from the number of people here who take pics of their bikes leaning against various props and post them on the board. Pics are alway better than no pics but it still makes me laugh to see all the people who love their bikes so much they take pics of them with wonderful landscapes in the background, like they're family members.Maybe they are ;). Looks like some of you got out during the holiday to ride and enjoy the lack of inversion. I didn't and I'm bitter about it.
At least Belay Steve didn't take a pic of his snowshoes resting against a pile of pine needles (admittedly the shot of his muddy bike in the middle of nowhere on a holiday is kinda cool).

·
Hoops - Big and Small
1,083 Posts
Leaners and Freshies

Ivan the Terrible said:
I always get a laugh from the number of people here who take pics of their bikes leaning against various props and post them on the board.
Yeah I know I could do better - I was feeling great about actually getting out and had to snap a pic. I was inspired by the sun and snow. The cool thing about riding in the snow is that you get a chance to see the line you hole shoted. Seeing your line in a berm makes you think about your technique.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
westin said:
At least Belay Steve didn't take a pic of his snowshoes resting against a pile of pine needles (admittedly the shot of his muddy bike in the middle of nowhere on a holiday is kinda cool).
This is the view from the Whispering Pines crapper :D:
https://www.fototime.com/14862DCC9D29FC8/standard.jpg

I really didn't know if I was gonna make it that day. I thought I was all cleared out, but about 1/2 mile after I started there were some rumblings down below. I was HURTING! Oy.

I very rarely ride with anyone and if I do I always forget to have them take a pic of me actually riding a bike. The last time this happened was the Brundage get-together this summer with some of the folks from here.

You should see how many pix I have of my car.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
Crash_Burn said:
Yeah I know I could do better - I was feeling great about actually getting out and had to snap a pic. I was inspired by the sun and snow. The cool thing about riding in the snow is that you get a chance to see the line you hole shoted. Seeing your line in a berm makes you think about your technique.
What kind of camera?

·
TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Crash_Burn said:
It takes web quality photos - Samsung SPH-A800
Whoa dude that's really freaky. How did you ever take a picture of that while you were holding it in your hand? You're good, scarey good..

·
TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ivan the Terrible said:
it still makes me laugh to see all the people who love their bikes so much they take pics of them with wonderful landscapes in the background, like they're family members.Maybe they are ;).
I took my boy up the Yenrab loop tonight. (Barney backwards). Mine were the only tracks in the snow. What a cool time to ride the most crowded trail in the foothills. I thought this post-ride pic pretty much summed it up. The wonderful landscape in the background are the bricks in my carport.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
TwistedCrank said:
Au Contraire youth! The width of a snowboard is more than double the width even the most absurdly wide powder ski. QUOTE]

That's debatable, I've seen some really fat skis (you have to consider them as a pair). But I agree with you all that a bad snowboarder can mess up the snow more than a bad skier - though it's not such a problem up here. Ya'll must have more than your fair share of bad/beginner boarders in your neck of the woods, we really don't see too many.

Or maybe it's because I hang out on the harder runs that they stay away from :p

Anyway, it's been dumping almost everyday since Thanksgiving, our ski areas are opening early, and the pow is great. So have fun no matter what your on.

And by the way, I skied for 7 years then switched to snowboarding and have been doing that for 16. I took up tele skiing last season and all I can say is K2 should make some new stickers - it's not so tough. And what's up with a company dissing part of the customer base, they make snowboards too!

·
sharing the love
342 Posts
TwistedCrank said:

I really get a kick out of ski snobs who claim that skiing is harder than snowboarding and therefore better. If harder is really better, why are you all riding bikes in the summer. You should be on unicycles to keep your "I'm better than you" attitude going year round. Maybe that's what the singlespeeds are for. I ride a snowboard because I used to skateboard so it was natural for me to want to do the same thing on snow. I don't hate skiers and would like to learn someday. I don't think I would ride skis on a powder day though. Snowboarding in the deep powder is just too much fun. Yes, it's true that there are a lot of idiot snowboarders on the mountain who sideslip from top to bottom. They shouldn't be up there. Is that worse than pushing the snow into little piles with ice between them (aka moguls)? Depends on who you ask. I have been snowboarding for 10 years and do not sideslip down the mountain. Are you better than me because you ski? I'm sure you think so. Are you having more fun? You probably think so. I'm just going to keep on snowboarding and having fun with no regard for what some skier thinks of me while I do it.

Ditch the attitudes people! You aren't any better than the rest of us!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.