Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions for a UST XC/Trail rim that has a good width and isn't as heavy as a brick (rim nirvana)

I was edging towards the Tricon XM 1550 wheelset (15mm fr) but was kinda hoping to run a Revelation (20mm fr) (wouldnt be the end of the world to run 32 Float but still)

Seasons greeting and cheers in advance :D

wpuk

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
The cracking issue with the X819 rims is a spoke tension problem, proper spoke tension would prevent it. That said, it would be pretty much impossible to build the X819's anywhere as light as the XM 1550 wheelset. They would be solid though!

I prefer handbuilt so I would probably go Stans NoTube (not UST, but lots of happy MTBers running them tubeless). You could easily build a sub 1500 gram wheelset for hundreds less than the XM 1550 wheelset.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My issue with the 819 is not so much the weight but the width,

im a bit wary of Stans with the recent mutterings about customer service (wouldn't affect me directly but i prefer companies that dont mess people about) but even going the local (ish) handbuilt route the general consensus seems that to get a decent build you have to tension them higher than what Stans specs (inducing warranty issues)

·
Registered
925 Posts
I just had a pair of 819's built by BWW and they've been great. Keep in mind I've only had them about 4 weeks so really haven't ridden them a ton. Weight wise not to bad at 1866g (claimed weight). I made the decision I wanted true UST and as I'm sure you've founds it's pretty slim pickens.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
wpuk said:
My issue with the 819 is not so much the weight but the width,

im a bit wary of Stans with the recent mutterings about customer service (wouldn't affect me directly but i prefer companies that dont mess people about) but even going the local (ish) handbuilt route the general consensus seems that to get a decent build you have to tension them higher than what Stans specs (inducing warranty issues)
There was one OP that posted on something like 3 different forums about his issue with Stans. Without knowing the full story from both sides, its hard to slam Stans. I'm not saying the OP is wrong or Stans is off the hook...just saying we weren't given both sides of the story.

As far as spoke tension, there are a lot of riders on Stans rims doing just fine. I personally ride with a half dozen guys and gals on either Arch or Flows and they all rave about the ease of tubeless setup and durability of the rims. I ride with them so I see what they do, so if there were issues I'd know about it. The max spoke tension of 95-100kg on the Stans rims is actually higher than the recommended max on the Mavic Rims (90kg). I wonder if the "general consensus" is more based on ASSumptions than actual experience.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Bonty Duster rims. Lighter and wider than a Mavic 819. 28mm outside width with 32H. $80 per rim with the Bonty TLR strip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts