Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Too busy looking good
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's my understanding that if you want a UST rim, that is v-brake compatible and has a ceramic braking surface, that nobody makes such a rim except Mavic. And furthermore, Mavic only makes them available via their pre-build wheel products, e.g. Crossmax XL, Crossmax SL, etc. Is this correct?

As a more general question, does anybody sell UST rims as a standalone item (that is, not as part of a kit wheel)? Ignoring other details, such as v-brake vs. disc, etc., who manufactures UST rims at all?

I ask because I love UST for the flexibility, but am wondering what options are out there for building UST wheels. I currently own and use a set of Crossmax XLs and Crossmax SLs, and I like them, but I resent being limited to them if I want UST.

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,444 Posts
Perhaps someone else who knows better can chime in here, but as far as I know the only rims (that aren't part of a absorbently-priced pre-built wheel) are the Mavic XM819 and EX823. Mavic has the patent on UST. Why they don't liscense it out to increase the market share for UST I don't know. Why they don't make a lighter, XC rim is beyond me as well. I figure they only make the two rims so that if you want UST you are more likely to just purchase one of their wheelsets, which the must make a killing on. I really wish someone else was making UST rims too.

BTW, if you use some of the Kool-Stop salmon compund rims you will get great braking performance like that found with ceramic rims, just without the increase lifespan.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If I recall correctly, Bontrager makes their Valiant rim in a tubeless v-brake version with a ceramic braking surface. You'll need Bontrager's special tubeless rim strips (about $5 a pop) and valvestem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.