Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright... I got an air compressor for Christmas so I'm going tubeless.

Considering a rider of my heft (195lbs currently), is it a better idea to just get UST tires for the stronger bead? Or is it worth the risk to get the weight savings of converting standard tires via Stans? If so, what tires/brands are best for the conversion?

On the Anthem I've got Crossmax SL's (UST) and on the Reign X standard (non UST) Syncros DP25 rims. Would you still recommend Stan's strips on the Crossmax's? Stan's or "Ghetto" strips on the Syncros?

Just looking for some opinions/experience ya'll. Thanks.

·
Registered
720 Posts
With the Crossmax rims you don't need any strips to go tubeless, just the tubeless valve stems. If you go with USB tires you don't even need sealant, but you might as well use it for flat protection. A good option is to use the new Tubeless Ready tires with a USB type bead and a light weight carcass. Hutchinson, Bontrager and some others have these and it's like the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
Sweeney said:
Hutchinson, Bontrager and some others have these and it's like the best of both worlds.
...for some. At 230, the Specialized Eskar 2bliss (not the newer control version) sucked. Sidewall was just too weak, burped 12 times in 6 miles in the rocky off-camber trails...

Given my riding style/terrain/weight, I see a great benefit in running UST tires. If I have to stop running them for some odd reason that I cannot imagine, I am going to DH tires.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CharacterZero said:
...for some. At 230, the Specialized Eskar 2bliss (not the newer control version) sucked. Sidewall was just too weak, burped 12 times in 6 miles in the rocky off-camber trails...

Given my riding style/terrain/weight, I see a great benefit in running UST tires. If I have to stop running them for some odd reason that I cannot imagine, I am going to DH tires.
Thanks, that's nice to know. I was wondering about the 2bliss tires and other Tubeless ready tires. I pinch flat quite a bit with tubes, so I think I'm pretty hard on sidewalls.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
I prefer the UST tires for dependability. I'd rather not be stuck in the woods with a snaped bead from a tire that was never intended to be run without tubes.

UST and add some sealant for punture flat protection and you will have trouble free tires. I have had one flat (torn sidewall) in the past 3 years with UST tires.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
Clintox50 said:
Thanks, that's nice to know. I was wondering about the 2bliss tires and other Tubeless ready tires. I pinch flat quite a bit with tubes, so I think I'm pretty hard on sidewalls.
Yeah, I bought some of the cheapy tubes from Performance when I flatted my last DH tube I was running with a std single-ply Nevegal (2.35 mounted to a DT 5.1 rim). I subsequently went thru that bunch of cheapy tubes in about a month. This frustrated me to the point that I went UST on my 5.1s. The Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 was too small. The Eskar, despite being a good tire, was just too weak in the sidewall. I just put 6 months on an Enduro UST (no longer made) and it was great, but the sidewall got more compliant and started burping. I replaced it with another one I had - seems good. Oh, and I know someone who is running the new tough-casing Eskar, seems to like it - pricey option though ($60ish).

Best UST tire I have tried yet - light, strong casing, great grip (for my loose-over conditions) is the Schwalbe Big Betty. I am running that up front right now on a 6" bike and love it. I cannot wait to wear out this other enduro and get another Schwalbe to mount up.

For Schwalbe tires, I would suggest contacting Chad at Red Barn Cycles.

·
Sweater
1,949 Posts
I dont have experience with UST tires, so Ill tell you my experience with stans. Ive got a Cannondale Rush 5z with stock rims (WTB speeddisc). Im a big guy (230+) and would describe my riding style as aggressive XC. Using stans and standard non-UST Weirwolf 2.55lt up front and Weirwolf 2.35 in the rear (30psi, front and rear), ive had Zero issues. No burps, no flats, no tears. With this set up ive ridden Downieville, all the Auburn trails and a few other NorCal trails, some fairly rocky stuff that I used to pinch on running 35psi with the same tires. So my recommendation, would be to get the stans kit and just try it out with the setup that you're currently running, and if it doesnt work out then look around for what might work better with your setup. Unless of course your just looking for that excuse to change it up......;)
Happy hunting, Im sure youll love tubeless regardless of what you go with.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CharacterZero said:

What air pressure were you running when you were burping the 2bliss Eskars?

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
Clintox50 said:
What air pressure were you running when you were burping the 2bliss Eskars?
I started at 30psi, but they were obviously too squirmy on pavement. I upped it until they weren't squirmy (38psi) and started riding trail. I upped it all the way to 44psi over the course of the trial - at that point, they were still burping quite often and had lost the small bump absorption that tires provide. I rode them for about 80 miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.