Seatpost Ec 90
Stem EA 70
CMAX SL UST
Fox 100 Rlt (next a Manitou RSeven)
Chris King No threadset
Xtr Group/Vbrake
I hope to get a total weight around 23.5/24.0

BUT what about 2.0/2.1 tires:
1) Tubeless? (I usually use Hutchinson Python-rear/front or Michelin XCR Dry-rear or Panarecer FirXCPro-Front)
2) Or No tub: Anyone has tried Regular Tires mounted with "Stan's system " ?
Which the lightest front tires choichewith a good grip ? And is it safe to use Stan's system on front, any possibilities of blowing it?

·
Complete Bastard
2,282 Posts
You're going to get about a zillion people saying no tubes is great or sucks, I will let you decide on that, but don't use tubeless if you want to save weight (UST, that is) they're heavier than bricks. Go with stans and convert your pythons to tubeless using it. I have had great results so far 2 years with no flats.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mward said:
You're going to get about a zillion people saying no tubes is great or sucks,
Here in Italy the Stan's system is pretty new, II've not found people experienced with it!
People told not to use it cause it could be dangerouse going fast downhill!
But, I agree with u, it seems to be the rigth choiche to get kighter tires. May be I'll try to use Stan's with Conti ExplorerSupersonic/front and XRC Dry/rear...
Any suggestion for a light/grip/front/tire?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Allessandro,
from the beginning when Stan released his product, the people from the UST wheel and tire companies have been telling everybody... it's dangerous... It'll blow off for sure... etc... etc.. etc...

Now here in the US and Canada, we can say it's finally pretty much accepted as a valuable alternative to UST with relatively low risks (to not say No risks!).

In France, the tire guys were speading the same arguments... Dangerous... Can blow off... Regular tires aren't designed to work with that... And then, they started producing their own sealing liquid for their puncture prone UST tires, etc... Producing regular tires, with UST beads... realising that there is a lot of good in Stan's design... They aren't all that far off Stans original concept now...

Mavic is still trying to "scare"/hype people into UST... Don't buy into it! Make up your own mind! After 4 years of using Stans, I won't say it's a 0 risk upgrade... But I've never had anything horrible happen to me using it for XC racing! The worst that happened is I slit both tires on a sharp rock and the sealant was unable to block it (big cuts!!!). My tires deflated very quickly just as if I had had a flat with a tube! No worse! I stopped the bike and dismounted...

This is just my oppinion for what it's worth. I'm not trying to infuriate anyone. But I definetly think you should at least consider it. I think the Stans system if definetly worth the little extra trouble and risk...

Luego!

·
Banned
107 Posts
use regular non-ust tires and stans latex with your crossmax ust wheels and you'll have no problems i've been doing this for 3 years with out a problem after spending $50 per UST tire i got tired of the hype and bought regular tires and used the stans.

all the mtb's in my house have the wheels done this way with no problems only thing that will stop you is a large cut in the side wall

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Yup. Been on UST rims with non-UST tires and Stans since Feb 04. Raced'm all last season(10 xc, 2 adventure, 1 24hr) and 1 more xc this Spring. My race last week was Stans Olympic rims run the same. Have NEVER had a flat, burp, or otherwise problem with Stans. Just a pain to mount sometimes(I don't run rimstrips). Much much lighter then UST tires, and since tubes suck...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanx guys!
Here in Italy only few bikers are riding using stan's: people are really scared of it!
I'm gonna buy 1/2 liter of gel, it costs to me bout 20.0$.

Any suggestion for a sticky light tire to use in front?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Angry Dad said:
Mine weighs in at 24 lbs. And I could go lighter. Swapping the seat and shifters/brakes would eat some fat.
I also have the Stans No Tubes, and after 2 months, and 1 expert race, they have held up beutifully.
which tires do u mount?
how do u feel with flat bar and the skareb (100?)?

·
Registered
244 Posts
alessandrosixtysix said:
which tires do u mount?
how do u feel with flat bar and the skareb (100?)?
Right now I have a 600g Intense tire on back, and a 1.8 skinny jimmy light on front (450g i think). Im going to try and mount my Bontrager Revolt ss tires today on it. They are about 450g also.
The handlebar I put on is performing tons better than I thought would. I have really pulled as hard as I could climbing around here, and that thing doesnt flex! Its light at 105g (claimed 99g).
The skareb is a good fork. Its the 80mm with SPV dampening. I really like the tunability this thing has. And so far the NoTubes rims have held up great. Very light, makes a ton of differnce climbing hills, compared to the mavic 819's I had on it previeously

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Angry Dad said:
Right now I have a 600g Intense tire on back, and a 1.8 skinny jimmy light on front (450g i think). Im going to try and mount my Bontrager Revolt ss tires today on it. They are about 450g also.
The handlebar I put on is performing tons better than I thought would. I have really pulled as hard as I could climbing around here, and that thing doesnt flex! Its light at 105g (claimed 99g).
The skareb is a good fork. Its the 80mm with SPV dampening. I really like the tunability this thing has. And so far the NoTubes rims have held up great. Very light, makes a ton of differnce climbing hills, compared to the mavic 819's I had on it previeously
I'm gonna mount michelin xrc dry rear and hutch python or spider front. i'm looking for something lighter and sticky/resistant in front such as schwalbe little albert front only or specialized kenda blue groove. What do u think about?

My choice of a fox100 i think will create some problem climbing hills: waiting for the RSeven...

I know easton is the best choiche, i'd prefere to mount a monkey light sl, the one i bought, but i'm scared to get a freeride bike not able to climb well as i like!

·
Registered
296 Posts
How much weight savings?

How much weight will I save converting to Stans No-Tubes? I'm currently running Python Airlights with regular presta-valve tubes on WTB Speeddisc rims. I looked at the Stans No-Tube kit and the rim-strip/valves looked thick and heavy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.