Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided I had my last flat tire today. Got goat-headed big time, 20 thorns per tire. Pretty ridiculous.

I've been putting it off, cost and all that. I would like to find a true UST rim that I can lace on to my Lefty front hub. The rear hub is shimano FM-M475, the front is Cannondale. They are 32-hole. I'm not sure there is any reason to replace the hubs, other than getting a good deal on a pre-laced wheelset with a Lefty hub. Neither the good deal or the Lefty hub seem likely, however.

I don't want a rim that seals the spoke holes with tape. I would like solid aluminum holding the air in, like my Mavic 26" wheels do.

Is there anything out there? Are the Crossmax 29ers proprietary hub?

Tire recommends for UST or tubeless ready appreciated also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,089 Posts
Not sure if there are any solid spoke bed 29er rims out there. I can definitely recommend the Bonty system though (Mustang or Duster). Uses regular spokes and nipples, and no tape involved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
spsoon said:
Not sure if there are any solid spoke bed 29er rims out there. I can definitely recommend the Bonty system though (Mustang or Duster). Uses regular spokes and nipples, and no tape involved.
What seals the spoke nipples?

I checked with my favorite, Mavic, and found they have an XM 819 disc rim. They claim the only one on the market. 500g, 32h, about $95 each.

Could be me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,089 Posts
Unless I`m missing something on the Mavic site, the XM819 is a 26`` rim.

Bontrager rims use a plastic strip that snaps in. Almost can`t tell it`s there once installed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
When buying rims UST simply (and only) means that the rim has an ETRTO standard tubeless bead interface.

There are plenty of options out there with ETRTO standard tubless bead interfaces, but almost all will require rim strips.

Note however that NoTubes tubeless rims are not compliant with the ETRTO tubeless standard and do have some compatibility issues (eg with some GEAX TNT tires). That said, plenty of people love them and they do seem to build up as great wheels.

HTH.
 

·
FIRENZE rulez !!
Joined
·
3,875 Posts
i saw a picture of a 29er front wheel "custom built"

SLR red lefty hub , as 26"model

crossmax 29er UST rim

mavic spokes


here in this forum
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
So that would be a C29SSMAX front wheel with the hub swapped out for a Mavic lefty hub?
Sounds like it may be an expensive option as there would be little chance of on-selling the proprietary C29SSMAX hub (other than in the 26" SLR wheel).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,054 Posts
Maybe you should call Mavic if they sell those Crossmax29 rims solo.

The Bontrager rims with the plastic insert are great though.
Had a 26" set of them and they interfaced much better with the tire than anything else.
My Notubes Flows work perfect though. At first I didn´t like the rimtape thing, but after two years on it, I think it works better than the Mavic system.

Lacing up the xm819 and so on with their FORE nipples is a hassle and the Flows hold air great. I actually use them with proper UST tires and WITHOUT sealant.

Wouldn´t hesitate to get another set. I might even go with the lighter Arches. (but I am light...)

You might as well use the lefty hub for your new frontwheel and upgrade your rearhub in the process. A basic Shimano hub is good for a basic wheelset (or sell it, keep it as a spare...) but de-lacing it and re-lacing it to an expensive rim isnt exactly economical.
I bet you could feather part of a new hub simply through selling the old rearwheel.

Greetings Znarf

Greetings Znarf
 

·
This place needs an enema
Joined
·
16,519 Posts
Lifespeed said:
I don't want a rim that seals the spoke holes with tape. I would like solid aluminum holding the air in, like my Mavic 26" wheels do.

Is there anything out there? Are the Crossmax 29ers proprietary hub?

Tire recommends for UST or tubeless ready appreciated also.
Have your LBS or favorite wheelbuilder relace your current hubs to some Stans or Bontrager TLR rims. In holding out for a Mavic tubeless rim you're:
1) looking to spend a lot of money that you don't need to,
2) adding unnecessary weight to your wheels, both in aluminum (in the rim) and whatever they make that ridiculous extra required nipple out of,
3) looking to spend even more money getting a wheelbuilder to deal with the silly mavic system
4) limiting yourself in the tires you can *safely* run without fear of blowing them off the rim. Do a search--it happens more on the mavics than on any other tubeless 29" rim.

Sorry--I don't have a lot of respect for, nor faith in, the crap that mavic has been putting out the last few years.

The Stans and Bontrager rims lace up beautifully, hold balanced tension, and their tubeless systems both work very well. They are lighter than the mavic setup, simpler to build and maintain, and if you choose a quality hub they will last years longer, probably with zero service.

This is a total no brainer. You can make it hard (and more expensive) on yourself start to finish by holding out for mavic, or you can be riding a quality set of wheels next week that'll remove the goathead and blowoff worries.

Give it some thought--it's your $$$.

Cheers,

MC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mikesee said:
Sorry--I don't have a lot of respect for, nor faith in, the crap that mavic has been putting out the last few years.
So tell me how you really feel about Mavic. Like I said, I have had excellent results on my 26" bike. As to the nipple arrangement, I did not find it to be over-complicated to lace a set of rims.

My experiences represent a sample size of one, so always good to hear another perspective. I don't understand why a Mavic rim is any more likely to blow a tire off. Is the UST bead interface not a true standard? Do different mfg's implement different bead hook dimensions?

Do Bontrager or Stan's rims require sealant to seal the spokes, in addition to the strips? Unless the strips are glued in, I would think sealant is a requirement. I do intend to use sealant for punctures, but I prefer the rim seals without it.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
11,694 Posts
Lifespeed said:
I've decided I had my last flat tire today. Got goat-headed big time, 20 thorns per tire. Pretty ridiculous.

I've been putting it off, cost and all that. I would like to find a true UST rim that I can lace on to my Lefty front hub. The rear hub is shimano FM-M475, the front is Cannondale. They are 32-hole. I'm not sure there is any reason to replace the hubs, other than getting a good deal on a pre-laced wheelset with a Lefty hub. Neither the good deal or the Lefty hub seem likely, however.

I don't want a rim that seals the spoke holes with tape. I would like solid aluminum holding the air in, like my Mavic 26" wheels do.

Is there anything out there? Are the Crossmax 29ers proprietary hub?

Tire recommends for UST or tubeless ready appreciated also.
You might just want to pick up a Stans rim strip for your existing rim and then get some Tubeless ready tires from any of the multiple manufacturers available and suited to your terrain.

Probably the cheapest and best way to get tubeless. More than likely the rim strip with a sealant will be the quickest and cheapest way to get tubeless. Check it out before splurging on a rebuild, you might be pleasantly surprised.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What about the Shimano WH-MT75 tubeless 29er wheelset with a front hub from the WH-M975-lefty wheel?

The look to have a similar hub to the crossmax wheels. Of course, then you have to buy Shimano centerlock rotors . . .

Anybody know anything about these rims? They claim tubeless compatibility, whatever that means. How are the spokes sealed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
eliflap said:
i saw a picture of a 29er front wheel "custom built"

SLR red lefty hub , as 26"model

crossmax 29er UST rim

mavic spokes

here in this forum
Thanks, I think a couple people have done that. I believe a set of the c29ssmax wheels are around $500, plus the cost to swap the front hub. Not particularly cheap, but a possibility.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,856 Posts
Lifespeed said:
I do intend to use sealant for punctures, but I prefer the rim seals without it.
Then what difference does it make?

The Bontrager snap-in rimstrip seals the spoke holes without sealant. I've had a few tires sealup without sealant on the Bonti system. More often than not, it's the particular tire casing that isn't designed to seal with out a sealant, not the rim/strip interface (I'm speaking only of the Bontrager system here).

I agree with mikesee here...if you're looking to get a pre-built wheel and cut out the hub to lace up a Lefty hub, that's unnecessarily complicated. Pick a Lefty compatible hub, a Bontrager or Stan's rim, some spokes and you're at the same place at the ned of the day.

A Lefty-compatible, tubeless front wheel/tire with sealant in it.
 

·
This place needs an enema
Joined
·
16,519 Posts
Lifespeed said:
So tell me how you really feel about Mavic. Like I said, I have had excellent results on my 26" bike. As to the nipple arrangement, I did not find it to be over-complicated to lace a set of rims.

My experiences represent a sample size of one, so always good to hear another perspective. I don't understand why a Mavic rim is any more likely to blow a tire off. Is the UST bead interface not a true standard? Do different mfg's implement different bead hook dimensions?

Do Bontrager or Stan's rims require sealant to seal the spokes, in addition to the strips? Unless the strips are glued in, I would think sealant is a requirement. I do intend to use sealant for punctures, but I prefer the rim seals without it.
Years ago mavic had it all figured out. Reasonable prices on quality products that they stood behind without question. These days? Not so much. Sub par product, grossly inflated prices, and a distinctly french inability to hear and act on what their dealers are telling them as far as upcoming product trends and current product failure modes.

Been there, done that, not worth the $ anymore.

The mavic 29" UST rims are undersized. Simple as that.

Bontrager and Stans rims don't necessarily need sealant--I've run both of them without it. The tires will leak down after a day or two, but that's a function of porous tire casing. In short, yeah you'll need sealant to seal up the casings, but you'd need it for the goatheads regardless.

MC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mikesee said:
Years ago mavic had it all figured out. Reasonable prices on quality products that they stood behind without question. These days? Not so much. Sub par product, grossly inflated prices, and a distinctly french inability to hear and act on what their dealers are telling them as far as upcoming product trends and current product failure modes.

Been there, done that, not worth the $ anymore.

The mavic 29" UST rims are undersized. Simple as that.

Bontrager and Stans rims don't necessarily need sealant--I've run both of them without it. The tires will leak down after a day or two, but that's a function of porous tire casing. In short, yeah you'll need sealant to seal up the casings, but you'd need it for the goatheads regardless.

MC
Thanks for the info. They can't make the rim diameter to spec? Wow!

Yeah, I know if I have sealant it will seal the rimstrip too. But here's the deal. The sealant dries out over time. I don't want a leak through the rim if the sealant gets old and I haven't changed it yet. And yes, I know about porous tire casings. I have used various combinations of UST/non-UST and Stan's.

Bottom line is, IMHO, there is a difference between choosing to use sealant for thorns, and being required to use it for a leaky rim. Perhaps I am splitting hairs, but I get to decide what goes on my bike. I am very fond of trouble-free, which my old Mavic rims still are. Too bad they (apparently) have lost their grip on quality control.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
11,694 Posts
Lifespeed said:
What about the Shimano WH-MT75 tubeless 29er wheelset with a front hub from the WH-M975-lefty wheel?

The look to have a similar hub to the crossmax wheels. Of course, then you have to buy Shimano centerlock rotors . . .

Anybody know anything about these rims? They claim tubeless compatibility, whatever that means. How are the spokes sealed?
Similar to the mavic with a solid spoke bed and a threaded insert. That is a lot of cash however just to get tubeless tires without a rim strip.
 
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Top