Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a set of UST wheels and I have a couple of questions...

- Is it possible (or non-recommended) to run regular non UST tires + tubes on such rims? For now, I don't want to bother with no tube sealant deal.

- If you have a flat (puncture, torn tire sidewall, etc...) on the trail, what are the repair options?

• Can you slap a tube in the tire and keep going?
  • If you are able to patch the tire on the trail, can you really inflate it back with a regular mini-pump or do you need to carry a compressed CO2 cartridge thingy?
Any wisdom from the people with real trail experience (good or bad) is welcome.

Denis

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
Denis said:
Just got a set of UST wheels and I have a couple of questions...

- Is it possible (or non-recommended) to run regular non UST tires + tubes on such rims? For now, I don't want to bother with no tube sealant deal.

- If you have a flat (puncture, torn tire sidewall, etc...) on the trail, what are the repair options?

• Can you slap a tube in the tire and keep going?
  • If you are able to patch the tire on the trail, can you really inflate it back with a regular mini-pump or do you need to carry a compressed CO2 cartridge thingy?
Any wisdom from the people with real trail experience (good or bad) is welcome.

Denis
You can run standard tires with tubes.

Use a tube to repair a UST flat on the trail, just as you would a tubed tire. You just need to remove the UST valve to use the tube.

·
Riding free's the mind
1,012 Posts
Totally

You've got the best of both worlds. Yup UST rims work great with tubes and reg tires. If you choose to go tubeless- I just converted my regular non-UST Continental Vertical Protection tires by using Stan's sealant, and having great success so far. Like you, I have UST rims which makes it easy.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Treat a puncture on a UST tire as you would any regular one. Just stick a tube in. Patch the inside of the tire casing when you get home. Most modern UST tires will inflate with no extra effort. The bead seal has improved dramatically in the last years and many tires now mount even easier than standard ones. Eventually you might want to try true UST tires with stans sealant anyway. Makes for a nearly flat proof tire. Sidewall tears and rips actually tend to be less likely because UST tires have thicker sidewalls.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts