Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on my first set of wheels with a UST rim profile. I am currently running non-UST tires with tubes. I had to use soapy water and over inflate the tire to get the bead to seat properly. I expected this with UST tires but not with standard tires. Is this normal?

The tires are Muddy Marys with the freeride casing if that matters.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I am on my first set of wheels with a UST rim profile. I am currently running non-UST tires with tubes. I had to use soapy water and over inflate the tire to get the bead to seat properly. I expected this with UST tires but not with standard tires. Is this normal?

The tires are Muddy Marys with the freeride casing if that matters.
Yes, not uncommon. The inner bead lock ridge is the culprit.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, not uncommon. The inner bead lock ridge is the culprit.
Thank you for confirming.

That does bring up a related question. I'm thinking the velox tape I reused is a poor choice because it is not slick. Do you have any recommendations for a rim strip? I really like the mid weight casing tires and I have several so I will be running tubes for a while.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Thank you for confirming.

That does bring up a related question. I'm thinking the velox tape I reused is a poor choice because it is not slick. Do you have any recommendations for a rim strip? I really like the mid weight casing tires and I have several so I will be running tubes for a while.
This begs a question, what rims are you running? From your original post is sounded like UST rims. However a true UST rim shouldn't need a rim strip of any kind even when running them tubed. The only reason rim strips are used on a standard type rim with a tube is to prevent the tube from being punctured by the nipple heads on a single wall rim or to prevent the tube from protruding through the spoke access holes and rupturing on a double wall. A UST rim should have no spoke access holes in the inner wall, and be smooth enough to run a tube with no rim strip. So I am confused by your second question. If by "UST profile rim" you mean one of the "Tubeless Ready" offerings ala, Bontrage or others, then it becomes clear. Just asking for a little clarification before make a recommendation.:thumbsup:

Good Dirt

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This begs a question, what rims are you running? From your original post is sounded like UST rims. However a true UST rim shouldn't need a rim strip of any kind even when running them tubed. The only reason rim strips are used on a standard type rim with a tube is to prevent the tube from being punctured by the nipple heads on a single wall rim or to prevent the tube from protruding through the spoke access holes and rupturing on a double wall. A UST rim should have no spoke access holes in the inner wall, and be smooth enough to run a tube with no rim strip. So I am confused by your second question. If by "UST profile rim" you mean one of the "Tubeless Ready" offerings ala, Bontrage or others, then it becomes clear. Just asking for a little clarification before make a recommendation.:thumbsup:

Good Dirt
Good point. They are the WTB Laser TCS Trail. The profile of the aluminum is that of a UST rim but they have holes for the nipples.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gorilla Tape has a smooth, glossy surface, and covers holes for tubeless conversion for a bonus.

Reinforced packing tape is very thin, giving you more room, with a smooth plastic surface.

P
I just did a search on the Gorilla tape. Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.