Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Metalheadbikerider
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run Crossmax UST wheels, and have switched between UST tires and standard tires with Stan's over the last couple of years for racing. Last year at Sea Otter and a local race I ran Stan's and I burped a bunch of air both races and lost important time. Of course, I like the weight savings of the standard tire/Stan's set-up over UST tires, and UST can always puncture and need a tube to be tossed in.
What are all of you running? Why do you favor one set-up over the other? If you use UST tires, what tires are you running?
Cheers!

·
Livin' the Dream
506 Posts
I had the best luck using Kenda's and Stan's but even those would burp. I like running the tire pressure around 25psi, so burping was always an issue. After burping a tire twice in a race I decided I was done so I went with Maxxis UST. I've used the Crossmark and the Ignitor and put Stan's sealant inside in both for good measure. No flat tires in 3+ years riding about 10 hours a week. Am I jinxing myself, probably, but I'll take the extra weight over the pita that is tire issues.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
I run Crossmax's with Bonty XDX and 2 oz. Stans sealant . They are not light weight but they roll pretty good and I dont have issues with them burping .

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
ust tyres on ust rims are almost as good as a ust tyre on a ZTR rim. a normal tyre on a UST rim vs on a ZTR rim... no comparison. far less problems / burping as you get a far better bead lock. i'll never run normal tyres tubeless on a UST rim again.

the thing with running normal tyres tubeless is always how strong the bead is and how thick the sidewall is though.

having said that, i'm running SLRs at the moment and am happy with UST tyres (Crossmark)... they are heavier but they are damn dependable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have religiously been running Mavic UST rims with Maxxis UST tires for almost three years with only 2-3 burps in the whole time, although I never go lower than 30 psi front 32 psi rear.
This combo is obviously heavy though so I am seriously looking at Stans rims and non UST tires with sealant to try and reduce rotating mass. I originally was thinking of only doing this on the 29er I am building up as it needs lighter wheels but now considering selling the Crossmax on the 26" and building up some Stans also.

I am very keen to try Geax tires upon building these wheels, maybe the TNT style for the rear and conventional non UST on the front???

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
you guys probably don't have goatheads in portland. Around here, sealant is necessary as you are guaranteed to hit a thorn most rides. I have had good luck with UST with sealant as long as the sealant doesn't dry out.

I have been wanting to try a tubeless ready but they are spendy. It seems like a perfect option since it has a bead like UST for a solid fit; aka less burping. There is an article in the current mountain bike magazine about tubeless and they concluded tubeless ready is the best option. Tubeless ready uses sealant. The bead is solid. The weight is slightly higher than regular tires but it seems like a reasonable weight penalty for all the benefits of tubeless.

·
the Jerc
98 Posts
I know about the "burping" issue only because I've read about it and seen videos. I ride a 4" travel Cannondale Rush with Stan's 355 rims and Kenda's currently. Two years ago I was riding Schwalbe Nobby Nick's and the set up was great. I went on a 5 month trip and came back to a pretty good amount of pressure still in the tire. I didn't measure it, but I usually run 32-35 psi. I just grabbed the bike, squeezed the tires and took off on a ride.

Merc

·
Metalheadbikerider
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No goatheads

AlliKat said:
you guys probably don't have goatheads in portland. Around here, sealant is necessary as you are guaranteed to hit a thorn most rides. I have had good luck with UST with sealant as long as the sealant doesn't dry out.

I have been wanting to try a tubeless ready but they are spendy. It seems like a perfect option since it has a bead like UST for a solid fit; aka less burping. There is an article in the current mountain bike magazine about tubeless and they concluded tubeless ready is the best option. Tubeless ready uses sealant. The bead is solid. The weight is slightly higher than regular tires but it seems like a reasonable weight penalty for all the benefits of tubeless.
Thankfully!
I ran UST tires on the Mavic UST's for quite a while (occasional puncture from metal shrapnel on the road) without a problem on the trails. Looks like I am going to go back to that set-up and not sweat the weight penalty. Kenda Karmas are pretty lightweight even as a UST tire. I just don't want to get rid of my Crossmax wheels since they are so bomber.

·
Registered
738 Posts
stans rims

run with stans tires or maxxis tires with sealant have been very good to me. I am ~170 lbs with gear in race season and run 28 in the rear and 25 up front. Never had a flat or burp in two years.

You do have to remember to keep change out the sealant every 3 months or so to get the dried stuff out. Whenever i start seeing the slow overnight pressure loss, I know that is the problem.

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Stans

I've been running stans rims with standard tires for 4 years now. I am in the 170lb range. I always run my 26" wheels above 30 psi, and my 29" wheels above 26psi. For the most part, I run snakeskin type tires for endurance events and training, and standard blackwalls for XC. I like tires in the 500 to 550 gram range.

I burped once when I tries out my 26" wheels at 22 psi when going over a 16" drop....duh. Other than that no burping issues. As far as cuts, I think it's mainly just a game of chance. I have cut 800 gram UST tires, and I've cut 400 gram standard tires. I've also cut many tires with tubes.... I think the right rock at the wrong time will cut a tire...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Do I have the same chances of burping a standard tire with sealant vs UST no sealant on my crossmax wheels? I currently run UST no sealant and have never had an issue. I would love to drop the weight though ...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Jfair27 said:
Do I have the same chances of burping a standard tire with sealant vs UST no sealant on my crossmax wheels? I currently run UST no sealant and have never had an issue. I would love to drop the weight though ...
I think it is important to remember that we are talking about Crossmax wheels here. A lot of people are reporting great results running Stan's, but with Stan's rims (me too - they are awesome).

However, I have worked on my buddy's Crossmax wheels and running regular tires with Stan's just does not work very well and will be harder to mount and burp more. In order to improve performance you should run Stan's rimstrips - this will tend to be a lighter setup despite the added weight of the rimstrips as compared to many UST tires.

Many people (like my buddy) just love their Crossmax SLR wheels, which is fine, but you just won't get a comparable beadlock to Stan's rims unless you use UST tires, so you will have to resign yourself to running a heavier system than your competitors, or just ditch the Crossmax and go Stan's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.