Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a pair of UST tires on a Stans rim....but if I get a flat on the trail I don't think I can mount the tire on the trail after using a tube given the bead is so strong...although I have not gotten a flat in 5 years on a UST

If I go to a Standard tire with the Stans rims and sealant if I get a flat I can mount a tube and tire easily on the trail.

do I go with the UST and hope I don't get my first flat in 5 years ?
or
do I go with a standard to go tubless and have more of a chance to flat, but can change the tire on the trail?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,475 Posts
ptfmb71 said:
I put a pair of UST tires on a Stans rim....but if I get a flat on the trail I don't think I can mount the tire on the trail after using a tube given the bead is so strong...although I have not gotten a flat in 5 years on a UST

If I go to a Standard tire with the Stans rims and sealant if I get a flat I can mount a tube and tire easily on the trail.

do I go with the UST and hope I don't get my first flat in 5 years ?
or
do I go with a standard to go tubless and have more of a chance to flat, but can change the tire on the trail?
Just learn how to put them on or off. It is not that hard. Or better yet put Stans in your
tire and don't worry about it. Also, you might learn about using superglue to repair
UST tires on the trail. It works well.

PS: I wonder if I can get MTBR to put a face palm smiley into the system. I get
so tired uploading the things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,039 Posts
chas_martel said:
Just learn how to put them on or off. It is not that hard. Or better yet put Stans in your
tire and don't worry about it. Also, you might learn about using superglue to repair
UST tires on the trail. It works well.

PS: I wonder if I can get MTBR to put a face palm smiley into the system. I get
so tired uploading the things.
Good technique can help you get most any tire on or off a rim without a lever, but it doesn't help seat a tire. Certain combinations just do not want to seat without a compressor or good floor pump and soapy water. Stan's rims have a larger diameter in the bead seat area to make the tire sit tighter on the rim, plus UST tires are built up differently around the bead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,475 Posts
boomn said:
Good technique can help you get most any tire on or off a rim without a lever, but it doesn't help seat a tire. Certain combinations just do not want to seat without a compressor or good floor pump and soapy water. Stan's rims have a larger diameter in the bead seat area to make the tire sit tighter on the rim, plus UST tires are built up differently around the bead.
I've never seen a UST tire that required a compressor to seat. I install them all the time and just don't see the need for a compressor. Are you sure you are not relating experiences with ghetto setups?

PS: I will admit I've only used Scwalbe and Continental tires. Perhaps other brands require a compressor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,039 Posts
chas_martel said:
I've never seen a UST tire that required a compressor to seat. I install them all the time and just don't see the need for a compressor. Are you sure you are not relating experiences with ghetto setups?

PS: I will admit I've only used Scwalbe and Continental tires. Perhaps other brands require a compressor.
have you installed them on Stan's rims like the OP has though? As I said, Stans rims have a slightly larger BSD specifically designed to create this "problem" so that tires without UST beads will stay in place better.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top