Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say I'm a 4 year-old....and expecting a new bike...
What is the process to follow with these guys? Do they have a Canadian warehouse like UPS or FedEx, to which you go and pick up a parcel (and pay taxes and brokerage fees)? Do they send a Notice to you (like UPS) or do you have to contact them prior to the delivery of the parcel to Canada?
I wouldn't think Canada Post offer this kind of service in the US?? I could be wrong.

Thanks
 

·
They say I have a problem
Joined
·
460 Posts
USPS ships to Canada and it is picked up at the border by Canada Post and you pay a $5 brokerage fee, GST, and any duty owing....All this extra billing is done when the package arrives....I usually ship to my wife's office and she takes care of that stuff...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
..so basically

The package gets to your nearest Canada Post outlet where you would go pay all of these USPS shipping&handling (and Canadian taxes) BUT NOTHING to Canada Post?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
the brokerage is NOT $5
I have no idea where that number came from. I've bought stuff off Ebay and had USPS shipping for the item. The fees have been anywhere from $0 (sunglasses) to $20 (Magura brakes)

USPS is however better than UPS, when buying stuff from the states. One of my buds ordered a frame from the US, shipped via UPS and they wanted $60 for the brokerage.
the real kick in the ass was that UPS damaged the frame (bent chainstays)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
No brokerage fees...

when using USPS. At the border the PO checks the package for "declared value", "merchandise", "sample", "gift" or "other". These are all recorded on the "customs declaration form". If the "declared value" is less then $60.00 cdn (after currency conversion) and marked "gift" - you will pay nothing and the package will come to your door by the Letter Carrier.

If the "declared value" is more then $60.00 cdn regardless of how it is marked, you will pay GST, PST and a $5.00 handling (not brokerage) fee at your door. If you are not home to receive the package a card will be left for you to pick it up the following day at a sub station such as Shoppers Drug Mart, where you will pay them what you owe.

The moral of the story is - have the sender mark your package as a GIFT and keep the value around $45.00cdn and wait for a knock on your door from the smiling Posty with your free package.
 

·
some kind of hero...
Joined
·
543 Posts
top_ring said:
when using USPS. At the border the PO checks the package for "declared value", "merchandise", "sample", "gift" or "other". These are all recorded on the "customs declaration form". If the "declared value" is less then $60.00 cdn (after currency conversion) and marked "gift" - you will pay nothing and the package will come to your door by the Letter Carrier.

If the "declared value" is more then $60.00 cdn regardless of how it is marked, you will pay GST, PST and a $5.00 handling (not brokerage) fee at your door. If you are not home to receive the package a card will be left for you to pick it up the following day at a sub station such as Shoppers Drug Mart, where you will pay them what you owe.

The moral of the story is - have the sender mark your package as a GIFT and keep the value around $45.00cdn and wait for a knock on your door from the smiling Posty with your free package.
The magic number is $20CDN - unless the folks at customs are busy...

The link is here:

Individual duty free & tax exemption

Good Luck!
:cool:
 

·
They say I have a problem
Joined
·
460 Posts
Well, everytime I have used USPS to Canada Post it has been $5!!! That includes 2 CycleOps Fluid Trainers valued at $300CAN...Of course both of those had the the value listed as $39.99US...Not sure if that matters...

Still USPS to Canada Post is the most economical way...UPS is the worst!!!! Fedex Global Express is not bad...You pay the fees upfront as part of shipping costs and then a $7 brokerage fee. Fedex is more expensive then UPS upfront, but there are way less charges when you get the package.

Rich
 

·
some kind of hero...
Joined
·
543 Posts
rbart4506 said:
Well, everytime I have used USPS to Canada Post it has been $5!!! That includes 2 CycleOps Fluid Trainers valued at $300CAN...Of course both of those had the the value listed as $39.99US...Not sure if that matters...

Still USPS to Canada Post is the most economical way...UPS is the worst!!!! Fedex Global Express is not bad...You pay the fees upfront as part of shipping costs and then a $7 brokerage fee. Fedex is more expensive then UPS upfront, but there are way less charges when you get the package.

Rich
It's like Rich says...

Dozens of packages from the US from $20 to $299 and I've paid the $5 or nothing every time but ONCE... An airmail package (USPS-air) was turned over to Purolator at the border and I had to pay their fees (bend over). I don't know why that happened...

Cheers
:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
airman said:
It's like Rich says...

Dozens of packages from the US from $20 to $299 and I've paid the $5 or nothing every time but ONCE... An airmail package (USPS-air) was turned over to Purolator at the border and I had to pay their fees (bend over). I don't know why that happened...

Cheers
:cool:
Purolator has the contract to take over for Canada Post if the sender uses Global Express mail - that requires a signature and has a guaranteed delivery time. Canada Post owns 75% of Purolator. As for the 5 bucks... if it`s not marked gift or sample, your paying the 5$ plus GST & PST regardless of the value. If your lucky, sometimes customs will let it go @ 20$ or less. And if you have to pay the 5$ plus taxes in spite of the gift thing, you can send off the receipt and customs form (as proof) for a full refund. I`ve done it - it works.

Keep this in mind... the less the declared value - the less you pay in Canada.
 

·
some kind of hero...
Joined
·
543 Posts
top_ring said:
Purolator has the contract to take over for Canada Post if the sender uses Global Express mail - that requires a signature and has a guaranteed delivery time. Canada Post owns 75% of Purolator. As for the 5 bucks... if it`s not marked gift or sample, your paying the 5$ plus GST & PST regardless of the value. If your lucky, sometimes customs will let it go @ 20$ or less. And if you have to pay the 5$ plus taxes in spite of the gift thing, you can send off the receipt and customs form (as proof) for a full refund. I`ve done it - it works.

Keep this in mind... the less the declared value - the less you pay in Canada.
Great info... Thanks!

:cool:
 

·
Hoss Dee-Lux'n It
Joined
·
79 Posts
USPS is best.

Just be careful with the "gift" and declared value. You can not insure something for 1000$ then list it as a 20$ gift. If you don't care about insurance on the package (against lost, theft, damage) then use an mechanism you like.

Secondly, under NAFTA most items are exempt from duties and GST, but not PST. You just have to go through the CCRA website and find the correct NAFTA duty number and have the sender fill out the duty form with that information. Then you can ship at full value get insurance.

Third - These days all packages are scrutinized. So I alway pay for insurance and declare full value. They are a lot more careful about what ships into the Canada now. Packages are opened more often and inspected for illegal items, and invoices or price tags are looked for. This is due to 9/11 and also due to the drugs (both pharmacutical & fun stuff) shipped cross boarder illegally.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Duty on complete bikes and frames

TREK'ed-out! said:
Let's say I'm a 4 year-old....and expecting a new bike...
What is the process to follow with these guys? Do they have a Canadian warehouse like UPS or FedEx, to which you go and pick up a parcel (and pay taxes and brokerage fees)? Do they send a Notice to you (like UPS) or do you have to contact them prior to the delivery of the parcel to Canada?
I wouldn't think Canada Post offer this kind of service in the US?? I could be wrong.

Thanks
When shipping from the US, it is my understanding that there is a Canadian import duty for complete bikes and I think that also applies to frames built in Taiwan. Most, if not all, other bike parts are duty free. GST & PST are still charged on all purchases.

At one time you could get away with paying just GST, but now customs is inspecting every parcel and charging PST too.

old_dude
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Searched the CCRA website for about half an hour. Couldn't find anything. Any links? Does the GST exemption apply only to businesses, or to private citizens as well? Most people hear seem to be getting charged both GST an PST.

Thanks,
Gorilla


Secondly, under NAFTA most items are exempt from duties and GST, but not PST. You just have to go through the CCRA website and find the correct NAFTA duty number and have the sender fill out the duty form with that information. Then you can ship at full value get insurance.
 

·
Hoss Dee-Lux'n It
Joined
·
79 Posts
Good info on the inspection and paying of PST.

I don't have the link here. I have the exemption book somewhere at home. I have not used it for a couple of years when I departed the RC world.

Freetrade applies to both businesses and individules. Country where the frame was made should have no impact. If it was made overseas then the person who imported it into the USA would have allready paid the appropriate duties. If I find the book I will let you know what its called so you can get a copy.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top