Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of converting my Cube to a SS at its next service (getting fed up of adjusting gears all the time). But was wondering if any of you guys use yours for commuting? I do a 5 mile (each way) trip consisting of roads and woods. My set up would be 32/16. not many hills. Really like the clean simple look of a SS.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I spend about 85% of my total time on my SS (other 15% with my geared roadie when trails are slop or I only have time for a quick spin after work).

My morning commute is the same as yours and I love taking the SS over my geared bike. Plus 2.5 miles out of 4 total miles each way of singletrack puts me in a great mood for the day opposed to fighting the chaos of north Jersey traffic.

Do it! You'll have no regrets.

Edit: Running a 32x18

·
Registered
82 Posts
Built up a SS recently, specifically for commuting and I wouldn't have it any other way. I ride about 9mi. each way and unfortunately all of it is on road. My route is mostly flat with a few hills along the way but nothing major.

I run 34x17 and decided to go bigger up front to ensure better chain wrap on the back. If I ever manage to get strong enough to drop a tooth or 2 on the rear cog I will have better chain wrap than if I were running 32x16 and dropping.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I single speed everything. From trail riding to pulling my daughter around in the chariot trailer. I am doing a 65 mile gravel/road ride next sunday on my single speed.

It just depends on the ride I do to decide what bike to ride ss 29er or sscx bike.

The only non single speed riding I do is my fatbike. But that soon will have a set of 29+ wheels to run ss

·
Registered
44 Posts
I use a cheap $250 700c single speed, Viking Blade/Ronin, for a 2 x 20 miles commute on paved bike paths. The gearing is 44 x 16. I have tried 39 x 16 but that is too low for my taste, spins out too often.

I am building a woods single speed, there the gearing will be totally different, 34 x 16 as a starting point.

·
Orange Bikes USA Dealer
1,434 Posts
I run a SS belt with 46/26 combo. It's the only thing I ride now as I absolutely love it.

·
Registered
891 Posts
The only bike I currently own is my Carve 29er sl. I run 40x17 for my commute (8-10 miles each way). The fast way is all road, the fun way a lot of gravel. I race CX on it running 40x19 or so. I ride trails on it with a 32x20 or 32x19.

The only other thing that changes is tires. CX, mtb, file tread…. whatever I need. I don't even have a second set of rims yet :-(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.