Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting an Easton Haven front wheel, but plan to use tubed tires for awhile. I'm not an early adopter of technology.

Will I still have to 'pop the bead' with an air compressor. Does this make changing tubes on the trail a PITA?

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
veryavgwhtguy said:
I'm looking at getting an Easton Haven front wheel, but plan to use tubed tires for awhile. I'm not an early adopter of technology.

Will I still have to 'pop the bead' with an air compressor. Does this make changing tubes on the trail a PITA?
Nope, just air up like you would on any other rim.

FYI-UST wheels with UST tires don't need an air compressor.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
veryavgwhtguy said:

It can be more difficult to seat the bead on a UST rim. A little soapy water applied with a spray bottle makes it easy with a floor pump.

On the trail, if the tire does not seat completely, just ride it. It will usually pop into place fairly quickly.

Hutchinson also makes a tire lever with a soap reservoir and sponge.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
veryavgwhtguy said:
Thanks fellas. Just to clarify for future searches: I meant using tubes and tires. Not tubed tires in a tubeless fashion. I think you got that though.
I understood. My comments are about using standard tires with tubes on UST rims.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Any of you out there have negative experiences with using standard tires tubeless (Stans goo) on UST rims? I'm looking at getting the Havens but don't want to worry about burps and blow-offs. FWIW, I'm using NoTubes Arch with standard tires now with very rare burps that are usually a result of poor technique or improper tire pressure.

Thanks for any insight!

·
Registered
626 Posts
JST169 said:
Any of you out there have negative experiences with using standard tires tubeless (Stans goo) on UST rims? I'm looking at getting the Havens but don't want to worry about burps and blow-offs. FWIW, I'm using NoTubes Arch with standard tires now with very rare burps that are usually a result of poor technique or improper tire pressure.

Thanks for any insight!
But still burping, go UST all the way and have NO burps....unless you want to run 15psi or less.:nono:

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I use tubes with easton haven wheelset. I have used ust before but don't see much of an advantage to ust. At the uci downhill championship, 93% of the pros use tubes and only 7% use tubeless. I think it speaks volumes.

·
Registered
259 Posts
pedal-man said:
But still burping, go UST all the way and have NO burps....unless you want to run 15psi or less.:nono:
Still waiting on the UST/TLR tire selection to improve. In the meantime, I want to run standard tires. I can deal with rare burps...I'm not a "15psi or less guy" so that's OK.

Now that I think about it, back when I rode 26", I had Mavic's 819 UST rim with regular tires and don't recall any issues. I don't see why the 29" UST would be any different. The tire and rim (UST) standards are the same.

I may have to try UST tire /UST rim combo down the road to see if the hype is real.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.