Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Stan's valve to replace a Mavic UST valve that was bad out of the bag.

My question is on "mounting" the valve. It just comes with a regular presta nut, is that enought to hold it air tight on "top"? :confused:

The stock Mavic UST valve had a special nut and o-ring. I was thinking about using them to install the Stan's valve.

Advice? ;)

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Chutist said:
I just bought a Stan's valve to replace a Mavic UST valve that was bad out of the bag.

My question is on "mounting" the valve. It just comes with a regular presta nut, is that enought to hold it air tight on "top"? :confused:

The stock Mavic UST valve had a special nut and o-ring. I was thinking about using them to install the Stan's valve.

Advice? ;)
The Mavic valve seals air in via the rubber bottom on the valve. The o-ring that goes on the outside is not to keep air in...imo....it's to keep water out. I'm not familiar with Stans valve, but it had better have that rubber bottom and it must have very similar dimensions.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.... swapped out the rear stem last night. Still lots most of the air overnight...more leaks to find. :rolleyes:
Front is still PERFECT! :D

I should just put some Stan's in the rear and call it "good" but I not done tinkering yet! ;)

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Chutist said:
Thanks guys.... swapped out the rear stem last night. Still lots most of the air overnight...more leaks to find. :rolleyes:
Front is still PERFECT! :D

I should just put some Stan's in the rear and call it "good" but I not done tinkering yet! ;)
Pump the tire up to it's max pressure and dip the wheel under water to see where the leak is. It's quick and you can even find a very slow leak. Your leak is fast and will be really obvious.

Why wait a day for disappointment?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blue Shorts said:
Pump the tire up to it's max pressure and dip the wheel under water to see where the leak is. It's quick and you can even find a very slow leak. Your leak is fast and will be really obvious.

Why wait a day for disappointment?
Yup, that's next. I put it in after my ride last night right before I went to bed.

I'll be dipping it in the shop sink tonight. ;)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chutist said:
Yup, that's next. I put it in after my ride last night right before I went to bed.

I'll be dipping it in the shop sink tonight. ;)
Okay the Stan's valve leaks where the rubber seals against the inside of the rim...air comes our around the nut that holds the stem in the rim. I took it apart, cleaned, reinstalled... no better. :rolleyes: Tightend with plyers... no help...CRAP :(

So Stan's valves ONLY work with sealant? His web site says they are compatable with Mavic UST.

$10 for a valve stem that leaks...so far I'm not real impressed. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Don't be hasty

Chutist said:
Okay the Stan's valve leaks where the rubber seals against the inside of the rim...air comes our around the nut that holds the stem in the rim. I took it apart, cleaned, reinstalled... no better. :rolleyes: Tightend with plyers... no help...CRAP :(

So Stan's valves ONLY work with sealant? His web site says they are compatable with Mavic UST.

$10 for a valve stem that leaks...so far I'm not real impressed. :rolleyes:
Remember you asked about that o-ring that goes under the nut on the outside? Without that o-ring, water can enter the spoke bed...and the air comes out under the nut. That doesn't necessarily mean that the bottom seal on the valve is faulty. It doesn't necessarily indicate that you have any leaks at all. That's why you need the silly o-ring.

Once you use the right stem and the o-ring.....if the valve is faulty...air will come out the valve. If the rubber end of the vlave is faulty, air will come out around the nipples. If you see air coming out from under the nut...without the o-ring...it doesn't tell you anything.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Blue Shorts said:
Remember you asked about that o-ring that goes under the nut on the outside? Without that o-ring, water can enter the spoke bed...and the air comes out under the nut. That doesn't necessarily mean that the bottom seal on the valve is faulty. It doesn't necessarily indicate that you have any leaks at all. That's why you need the silly o-ring.

Once you use the right stem and the o-ring.....if the valve is faulty...air will come out the valve. If the rubber end of the vlave is faulty, air will come out around the nipples. If you see air coming out from under the nut...without the o-ring...it doesn't tell you anything.
That o-ring is only for the stock Mavic valve. The Stan's valve doesn't come with an o-ring. I tried to use the nut and o-ring from the Mavic valve on the Stan's valve but nut wouldn't start...like it was a different thread pitch. I may use just the o-ring... But it looks like the Stan's is designed to seal using just the rubber on the inside being held tight by just the nut...with the o-ring I don't know if I'll be able to get enought tension on it to seal at all.

I'm open to suggestions....I'm going to pull it all apart again in the morning...o wait, it is morning...off to bed. :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE - I pulled the tire off again cleaned the rim and installed a SECOND Stan's valve. ( I bought two)

With the tire out of the way, I firmly held the stem into the hole in the rim while installing the nut. Reinstall tire...reinflated it...dunken in water.

STILL LEAKING BETWEEN THE VALVE BODY rubber seal an the rim. A steady stream of bubbles from under the nut that holds the valve in the rim.

I'm tempted to "trim" the edges of the rubber on the valve to make more of a rectangel like the Mavic valve... the Mavic valve is shaped like this -> [] I'm thinking it would let the valve "drop" into the grove in the UST rim so the valve could seal against the valve hole better.

·
Bon Vie
624 Posts
Chutist said:

Advice? ;)
I have the Stan's valve on four Crossmax Enduros. Used the O-ring on all and have not had any problems. A little of Stan's juice added for good measure.

peace..............

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Squeaky Wheel said:
Yup, I use the Mavic o-rings with Stan's valves too, but they're not needed.
Put in a scoop of Stan's goop and your troubles will likely be over.
Ya, I haven't been able to get any Stan's. LBS ordered it for me and after a week told me it was on back order. :mad:

I checked the other LBS ( only 2 for 100 miles ) and they only have some stuff called "TrueGoo". I may try it....

WHERE are you guys using the O-ring? Under the Knurled nut?

There were several in the bag, does one go on the stem before you put it in the rim? I haven't tried that....

Thanks for all the replies! :D

·
NoTubes.com
600 Posts
Chutist said:
Ya, I haven't been able to get any Stan's. LBS ordered it for me and after a week told me it was on back order. :mad:

I checked the other LBS ( only 2 for 100 miles ) and they only have some stuff called "TrueGoo". I may try it....

There were several in the bag, does one go on the stem before you put it in the rim? I haven't tried that....

your 1st LBS either is not telling the truth or is not in good standing with Stan or their distributor, sealant is always in stock (ie. no backorder).

O-ring can be used under the knurled nut by the way.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Chutist said:

You can use stans, but it's not necessary....if you use the correct valve for your wheelset...a mavic stem. It's under warranty. Get a new one and send the old one back.

Stans is just a bandaid...It works, but is not necessary if you use the correct valve. I'd use stans if I rode in an area with thorns...but just get the right valve and it won't leak.

If you're gonna use Stans....skip the UST wheel and UST tire and save weight. Using a UST wheel...and UST tire with Stans is a lot of un-necessary additional weight. At least skip the UST tire.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Are you sure the wheel is not leaking?
Take the valve out, hold your finger over one hole, and direct a blowgun to the other to pressurize the center of the wheel. Have a helper apply soapy water to look for leaks. I had a brand new Crossmax that leaked near the weld, producing exactly the same result as you have. With the o-ring sealed Mavic valve, the air leaked out past the spoke nipples.

Hope you find the problem.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DirtRider said:
Are you sure the wheel is not leaking?
Take the valve out, hold your finger over one hole, and direct a blowgun to the other to pressurize the center of the wheel. Have a helper apply soapy water to look for leaks. I had a brand new Crossmax that leaked near the weld, producing exactly the same result as you have. With the o-ring sealed Mavic valve, the air leaked out past the spoke nipples.

Hope you find the problem.
Thanks ;)

I did test for that the Mavic stem had a core that leaked so I tested back and forth to isolate the problem. I've got a big shop sink to dunk it it and it's pretty clear where it's coming from....

Through all this the front wheel has been PERFECT, so I know it's possible!

I've got an other Mavic core on order. I should be able to get one under warranty as well but that will take time. As much as they cost, I expected HASTLE FREE PERFECTION. Now I've got $21 of worthless stan's valve stems....

I posted on the Support area of Stan's as well hoping for some help or suggestions.... For as much as everyone here raves about Stan's I was disapointed that he offered no help. "Stuff" happens - IMHO - It's how they react to problems that seperates the good from the rest.... Stan's will now be lumped with the "rest" in my book. :(

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's the end of the story.

I'm done with Stan's - I have an issue with his valve stems. I asked NICELY for help and got NONE. :mad:

Bought a new Mavic UST valve stem yesterday. Lost no pressure over night! :D

So the answer is the Stan's valve is NOT compatable with the Mavic rim. With all the praise Stan's gets here I really expected better support from him. After wasting $20 on his valve stems...I'll be buying some other brand of sealant.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Chutist said:
Here's the end of the story.

I'm done with Stan's - I have an issue with his valve stems. I asked NICELY for help and got NONE. :mad:

Bought a new Mavic UST valve stem yesterday. Lost no pressure over night! :D

So the answer is the Stan's valve is NOT compatable with the Mavic rim. With all the praise Stan's gets here I really expected better support from him. After wasting $20 on his valve stems...I'll be buying some other brand of sealant.
Congrats on the fix. What sealant are you considering?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.