Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 297 Posts

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shimano disc brake rotors have a narrower braking track than most other brands of brakes. This may cause problems with pad wear and/or power if used with a non-Shimano caliper.

DT Swiss, Problem Solvers and a few others make adaptors to use IS 6-bolt rotors on Centerlock hubs.

Given the proper rotor diameter, as long as the braking track of the rotor is at least as wide as the stock rotor it can be used in any caliper.

·
Super Moderator
20,806 Posts
good call Shiggy... there are several threads on the same issue in first page of the forum... maybe it should be a sticky :lol:

edit: it IS a sticky :D I came to it directly from my RSS feed...

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
crisillo said:
good call Shiggy... there are several threads on the same issue in first page of the forum... maybe it should be a sticky :lol:

edit: it IS a sticky :D I came to it directly from my RSS feed...
Seems like the question is asked several times a day

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Should we make this a database? I use XT centerlock hubs and rotors with Magura Louise brakes. The track is in fact a bit narrow for this brake, but it does work fine (on my townie bike, anyway).

·
Registered
155 Posts
do you mean the radial width of the rotor ?

Yo Shiggy, do you mean the radial width of the rotor ? it is narrow not unlike the grimeca 8's ?? What is the real issue ??
if the pads are covering / wearing into the rotor spokes- it is not best to cut down the pads at that lower end, ??

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Douglas Fir said:
Yo Shiggy, do you mean the radial width of the rotor ? it is narrow not unlike the grimeca 8's ?? What is the real issue ??
if the pads are covering / wearing into the rotor spokes- it is not best to cut down the pads at that lower end, ??
I think it is best to use rotors that match the pad width. I am not going to file down my pads to fit the rotor. Not worth the trouble.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Schim out brake caliper?

When your running avid brakes with shimano rotors could you just schim out the brake caliper so that the end of the pads bite a mm before the bottom of the rotor? I already ordered my XTR rotors and don’t really want to buy a different rotor or a centerlock to 6 bold IS adapter.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Then you'll have extra pad hang over the top of the rotor. You'll have to replace pads sooner because eventually the pads will contact before it can squeeze the rotor. This is not an effective fix.

·
Registered
98 Posts
any one got any ideas of what 6 bolt rotor will work with the new 07 XTR discs? hoping someone will say the hope floating will..........

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
disco_stu said:
any one got any ideas of what 6 bolt rotor will work with the new 07 XTR discs? hoping someone will say the hope floating will..........
Well, Shimano for one. I think Hopes are OK- like Shiggy said, just make sure the brake track on the rotor is at least as wide as the pad.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Magura Louise 6" six-bolt rotors seem to work fine with Hayes HFX-9 calipers, and I don't seem to get the noise and fade that accompnies the Hayes rotors, fwiw.

G

·
Setup: Front wheel only!
XTR m965 hub
XTR SMRT96 rotor
Avid BB7 brake unit
Rockshox Reba SL 2007

The rotor lines up perfectly dead center of the brake unit and there are zero problems. Great contact and nothing even comes close to rubbing or anything. The stopping power is the same as the bb7 stock rotor and the weight was a wash since I did NOT have to use an adaptor. I hope this helps someone. :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Is it possible that there have been changes made to Shimano CenterLock Rotors? I too, believe they will work just fine. Here are some photos.

First is the two discs overlaid one upon the other. Outer diameter matches within 1 or 2 mm.

Heres a shot showing the wear area of both rotors side by side.

Finally, a close up of both Shimano Rotor next to new Avid BB7 rotor with BB7 brake pads. You can see that although the Avid brake pads fit the Avid rotor better, there really isn't much of a difference... I would guess just a couple of millimeters.

Shiggy said:
Shimano disc brake rotors have a narrower braking track than most other brands of brakes. This may cause problems with pad wear and/or power if used with a non-Shimano caliper.

Given the proper rotor diameter, as long as the braking track of the rotor is at least as wide as the stock rotor it can be used in any caliper.
This shimano rotor looks fine for both width of braking track and rotor diameter. I see nothing to worry about here. I gotta believe Shiggy and company are talking about a different Shimano model.

anyway, you mileage may vary. --zip.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Yes, there are other Shimano rotors with narrower braking tracks.

160mm rotors should all have approximately the same outside diameter.

1 - 20 of 297 Posts