Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
197 Posts
I use touring shoes for mtbing but they are SPDs and are pretty much the same just less aggressive tread. I would imagine S-Works road shoes only accept road pedals which wouldn't work out too well with any real amount of dirt. Just stick to mtn shoes.

· Registered
93 Posts
I use mountain bike shoes on my road bike, but I wouldn't use road shoes on a mountain bike. Mountain bike shoes are made with a little bit of tread so mud and dirt won't jam up the cleats, road shoes don't have this tread.

· Registered
1,917 Posts
Bad idea.

I agree with what has been said I just want to make sure you understand that road shoes will not work with mountain pedals. You will have to run a road pedal on a MTB. Most road pedals have no provision for mud clearance and are also harder to get in and out of then mtn pedals.
Also road shoes are way less comfortable to walk in.

Road shoes on a MTB would work well if the following are true of your rides.
1. There is little to no dirt and never any mud.
2. You never have to walk at all.
3. You don't have the need to get unclipped or clippped in quickly.
4. You like the feeling of ice skating until you are able to find a flat spot in the trail and clip in.

· Registered
254 Posts
If you want to kill yourself while attempting to jump over a barbed wire fence, then go with the road shoes. My S Works mountain bike shoes are slippery enough, I wouldn't want to use something with no tread off road!
THIS^^^^

I have hard enough time walking on rock in my mountain bike shoes, I can't even imagine how bad it would be in road shoes.

· Propr
1,197 Posts
I just want to make sure you understand that road shoes will not work with mountain pedals. You will have to run a road pedal on a MTB. Most road pedals have no provision for mud clearance and are also harder to get in and out of then mtn pedals.

Also road shoes are way less comfortable to walk in.
This is not totally true...I have Specialized road and mountain bike shoes and they both work on both of my bikes (road or mtn). I just use crank brother egg beaters on both bikes. So you can use either or for either or.

That being said...I agree with the non-use of road shoes on mountain bike unless you just plan on riding it around the neighborhood or local bike path.

· Fat-tired Roadie
18,476 Posts
I wouldn't. To my knowledge, my favorite MTB pedal doesn't have a road cleat available. I guess there might be an adapter, but it defeats the purpose of getting a fancy shoe if I then have to mess up the stack height and add a bunch of weight. And, walkability is more useful than many mountain bikers care to admit off-road. I'm glad to have treaded shoes pretty often on off-road days.

· Registered
1,507 Posts
I asked the same noob question of my LBS when I saw a smoking deal on last years model S-works shoe while shopping for my first pair of shoes. I was told its mostly all in the lack of any tread. The tech said it would be fine as long as I NEVER had to put my foot down. He said the first time I had to make a quick stop and put a shoe down my foot would likely slip right out from under me and I'd ended tweeking my knee or worse.

Don't do it.

· Registered
6,004 Posts
In general you'd be much better off buying a set of mountain bike shoes if you're planning on using them offroad. Road shoes are slippery enough (and very easy to fall over in) when you're just trying to walk around on a flat surface. Offroad on wet rocks, mud etc their soles are lethal as you have no grip at all. It isn't worth the risk.:)

Using normal road shoes offroad is only an option if it's dry, and you were 100% certain that you wouldn't have to do any walking. It is something you'll occasionally see top riders do in some races. The benefits are that road shoes are lighter and can be stiffer than the equivalent MTB shoe. Christoph Sauser has been known to race offroad in road shoes sometimes:

"The cheer of all the spectators was ours starting the last lap and our mission was to stay clear of the pursuers and push those pedals as hard as we could that European Championship. In the forest with less then 10min to go, I hardly could not hold onto Vogel. With the super slippery ground we had to deal with, we also had to walk the one steep ramp, where my carbon road shoes did not have the grip to keep firm on the ground and Vogel. That was the tipping point, and from there on the European title was getting out of sight. Vogel could make even more seconds on me. " Christoph Sauser 18-05-2008

sauserwind.com - christoph sauser, switzerland

If you really wanted to then you could glue some tread onto the sole of the road shoes, as seen here for Lance Armstrong's MTB shoes for the 2009 Leadville 100 race. Normal MTB shoes would still be a better choice though.:)

Tech Gallery

Pictured below:Lance Armstrong's road shoes with tread glued onto the sole for the 2009 Leadville 100 race.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.