Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
there was one on here, can't remember who though. Might have been a camera battery too. Either way, there's no reason why you can't use a phone or camera battery to power an LED. Only thing I can think of is if the center thermal monitoring contact on the battery has to be used, but I'm pretty sure most batteries will charge without it being use. That and the fact that their capacities are pretty low, but for a low powered light that shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only thing I can think of is if the center thermal monitoring contact on the battery has to be used, but I'm pretty sure most batteries will charge without it being use.
What I was thing of doing was wiring maybe 3 batteries in parallel,and then solder connections onto an old phone,so that I could connect the new battery pack to the phone to charge it

·
mtbr member
890 Posts
What I was thing of doing was wiring maybe 3 batteries in parallel,and then solder connections onto an old phone,so that I could connect the new battery pack to the phone to charge it
I'd not recommend soldering to a cell phone battery, you are probably asking for trouble - though I am a weenie when it comes to lithium cells after having one go off :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wouldn't go that route for the combined light and phone power solution. Cellphone batteries are pretty low capacity as others have mentioned, are probably going to be more expensive, and unless you can create a holder for the cells, leaving them unaltered and thus able to be inserted into the phone, I think you'll likely run into issues charging from them without any circuitry in between. Most phone chargers use 5V to leave enough voltage overhead to charge the battery and power any charging circuits for the standard 3.7V li-ion battery in the phone. If you just attach the charging cable to another 3.7V battery, the phone probably will not charge.

I would instead go with either an 18650 li-ion pack, rechargeable AA's, or an R/C car li-po pack for the light, and something like the MintyBoost by Lady Ada for charging the phone. There are many battery USB chargers out there, Energizer makes one, Brunton makes some of varying capacity for charging several gadgets, but I mentioned the minty since it comes in kit form if you like to tinker, and can run off of AA batteries which would be the same batteries as the light if you go that route for the light.

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.