Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to save weight from my race bike by switching from UST tires to regular tires with Stans system. I can get Michelin Comp S Lite tires from my brother (who works at Michelin) for next to nothing, but then I read that Michelin tires are not recommended for use with Stan's system. Can anyone confirm that this is a bad idea?? I'm just wondering whether I should go the cheap route (I'm a poor student and can't afford to drop alot on tires) and risk it or whether this is going to be a set up for failure.....

Any input would be appreciated!
Thanks

Twiggy

·
Registered
761 Posts
Not a good combo, Twiggy...

The Comp Ss were one of the tires with too loose fitting a bead to safely be run with Stans. I had two literallyand simultaneously blow right off the rim, shooting latex every where. Glad it happened after a long climb and during a break -- before I bombed the 7 mile downhil. I was sitting, eating a powerbar, when I heard something akin to a gun shot. I looked behind me and there it was: two tires completely off the rim and a latex covered bikel.

Twiggy said:
I'm trying to save weight from my race bike by switching from UST tires to regular tires with Stans system. I can get Michelin Comp S Lite tires from my brother (who works at Michelin) for next to nothing, but then I read that Michelin tires are not recommended for use with Stan's system. Can anyone confirm that this is a bad idea?? I'm just wondering whether I should go the cheap route (I'm a poor student and can't afford to drop alot on tires) and risk it or whether this is going to be a set up for failure.....

Any input would be appreciated!
Thanks

Twiggy

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
My experience...

... isn't good. A 2-inch rip in the sidewall of a Michelin Hot S after less than two months.

New-generation Pythons are suspect too, as I also recently had a 2.3 NG Python blow off the rim on a ride (very scary -- it was the front wheel).

Good luck!
MG

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
110rpm said:
What about the new Michelin XRC with Dual Compound?

Have anyone tested XRC Mud/Dry (regular or UST) + Stans?
I wouldn't try running non-UST Michelins with Stan's. The UST versions of their tyres are significantly heavier for good reason. I've just started running the new dual compound All Mountain UST and so far they're fantastic. Before that I was running tubed Hot S 2.2

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.