Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The house I live in now is "big" for my wife and I. We are thinking about renting one or more rooms to visiting outdoor folks who are up for a weekend visit or vacation pass through. Kinda like a B&B cross with a rent a house with a built in cook/guide type but more for the recreation oriented crowd. Kinda like visiting your friend or brother in that town that has time to help out/participate with your adventure.:cool:
Has anyone encountered such a thing here in the States?Whenever my wife and I are on holiday and we are not camping or staying with a friend, we often rent a little place with a kitchen, place to do laundry, that typical home rental thing. But often, I felt that I was missing the local scene. Rarely is there someone to ask local advise, provide advise, sort of that local's advantage that travelers value.
So I was wondering if besides offering a place to stay, our place would have a shop for bike repairs, and safe storage. Trails are right out the door, meals could be cooked, as well as a lunch made for guests. Maps and trail descriptions could be in the "planning" room, and in some situations I would be up for taking folks on the good trails, that sort of thing.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in Flagstaff.
I have done a little more investigation and found out about homestays vs. B&B vs. vacation rental. Since my wife and I are living in the house, and we are not about to plug in a sign in the front yard, along with a white picket fence and antiques and nic-nacs (I hate that crap). this idea is affectionally called a "homestay". Guests get to hang out with us and our two cats.
I'm on the path of redtape, business development, and taxes information. The state of Arizona is friendly towards such tourism dollars from these types of ventures. The neighborhood allows it, and I'm really ready to get out of the construction trades. Its kind of exciting, since there are a lot of factors that are showing up on our doorstep. The house will not require much remodeling except making a half bath downstairs a full bath. I just finished converting a little building from a chicken coop to an art studio/ place to sleep, so that is an option to rent as well.
I won't be buying a shuttle van anytime soon, but there is a dude just down the street...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts