Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to put air in my new SID. I pump the chamber up to the appropriate psi, and start to unscrew the pump head from the valve and all of the air escapes...what am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
77 Posts
SID Pumping Issue

ricer said:
I am trying to put air in my new SID. I pump the chamber up to the appropriate psi, and start to unscrew the pump head from the valve and all of the air escapes...what am I doing wrong?
Does all the air escape? or is it a brief PSSSSST (that sound when the air escapes), then it stops.

If all the air escapes, the schraeder valve on the fork may be sticking or faulty.
If it is a long PSSSSST then I would have to think maybe the pump itself.
If it is a short Psssssst, that my be the pressure escaping from the pump - when you pump your fork to Xpressure, that same pressure remains in the pump until it can escape when it is removed from the valve - hense the Pssssst noise.

An additional note. If you check pressure with your pump. after putting the pump back on the valve, give it one full pump - that will give an accurate reading of the pressure before you released some air back into the pump.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I'm having the same issues trying to add pressure to my wife's rear shock. It's like I can't unscrew the pump fast enough before most of the pressure escapes. Shouldn't it hold the pressure in the shock while uncrewing the pump?

Advice? It's a brand new shock on a brand new bike.

Thanks,

Ian
Austin, TX

·
Never enough time to ride
1,575 Posts
sometimes the valve cores in the schrader valves won't be tight enough and will stick up above the edge of the vavle body. find a valve core tool and try snugging them down.
If that doesn't work I would also try using a different pump.

happy trails...

squish

·
Registered
77 Posts
hallin222 said:
I'm having the same issues trying to add pressure to my wife's rear shock. It's like I can't unscrew the pump fast enough before most of the pressure escapes. Shouldn't it hold the pressure in the shock while uncrewing the pump?

Advice? It's a brand new shock on a brand new bike.

Thanks,

Ian
Austin, TX
In theory, a shock pump should dissengage the schraeder valve before the seal is broken between the pump and the shock - this is one of the special features which make shock pumps more expensive than regular pumps.
First step in any situation like this is checking the valve, then the pump.
You may also want to let all the air out of the shock. the valves can sometimes get a bunch of shock lube stuck in the valves and letting all the air out can blow some of that crap.

cheers,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.