Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
( o Y o ) 's!!
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 03 Specialized SX cracked and I upgraded to an 06 Trail SX. I'm in process of swapping the parts over and noticed that the bottom bracket axle is a bit short and the non-drive side crank arm rubs against the cup. Everything is

The 06 SX Trail has the ISCG mounts whereas the 03 doesn't. Do I have to buy a different bottom bracket?

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
Arkayne said:
My 03 Specialized SX cracked and I upgraded to an 06 Trail SX. I'm in process of swapping the parts over and noticed that the bottom bracket axle is a bit short and the non-drive side crank arm rubs against the cup. Everything is

The 06 SX Trail has the ISCG mounts whereas the 03 doesn't. Do I have to buy a different bottom bracket?
I had the same issue...I had 68x113 BB where there was supposed to be a 73...BUT, it worked fine when I swapped in a 68x118. The longer spindle kept the non-drive side crank from bottoming on the BB cup.

As an aside, once I got the correct BB (73x118) it ceased to work when I installed my ISCG adapter LOL...Now I have a 73x122 in there. Life is good.

So in closing, Hardtails are better has a great point, but I'm guessing the issue is the BB.

RJ

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Right. What I was getting at is that the old bike probably has a 68mm shell, and the new one is more than likely a 73. Even if the axles were the same length, a 68mm BB in a 73mm shell is going to be shifted towards the NDS 2.5mm, which could be enough to cause interferance. If this is the case the problem would be sloved by getting a BB with the same spindle length and a 73mm shell.

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
Hardtails Are Better said:
Right. What I was getting at is that the old bike probably has a 68mm shell, and the new one is more than likely a 73. Even if the axles were the same length, a 68mm BB in a 73mm shell is going to be shifted towards the NDS 2.5mm, which could be enough to cause interferance. If this is the case the problem would be sloved by getting a BB with the same spindle length and a 73mm shell.
:thumbsup:

·
( o Y o ) 's!!
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good info ya'll. I took a trip to my LBS and all I needed was a Shimano BB with the same shell size but a 118mm axle. I'm using XT cranks btw. Phew! The bike is all together and I just got back from my first test ride. Wo0t!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.