Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
I've used...

Random Drivel said:
Besides the locks on your rack, who here is using an additional lock (cable, whatever) to secure their bike? THX
a cable lock with my bikes on the roof racks. Works great. I had a bud misplace my roof rack keys right before a big ride at the end of a 4 hour drive. I was surprised at how easy it was to defeat the locks on Thule roof racks.

I ran a Kryptonite big fat 9ft cable looped around the passenger door handle, out a small crack the sunroof (in back-tipped-up mode), through the front and back wheels, and secured it to the bike around the seat tube and rear wheel with a U-Lock. On my wife's car with no sunroof, I just ran it out a crack in the back passenger window. Yeah, it can probably be defeated, but it is a lot more secure than the factory roof rack locks. I wouldn't leave my bike on the car overnight, but I'd park it somewhere public in the daytime.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My carrier has a cable lock that secures the bottom tube but I use an additional cable lock that goes though my rear rims, chain and rear stays for addiitonal security for my Industry nine rear wheels. Now days it not about the whole bike some of these components are expensive in some cases more than the frame. QR Skewers holds one 50% my bike value so I do what I can to make it harder for the quick thief. Other components at least need tools to remove and with bike being on the roof of a Honda Element cetainly helps minimize theft.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.