Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a bike that has a 6-speed freewheel type cog, but I want to use a new wheel that takes cassettes.

Since you can't get 6-speed cassettes (only freewheel), can I use a 7-speed cassette? I am aware the spacing is different, so what will that entail?

Can I change my shifter to better suit to a 7-speed?

I am looking at the Shimano HG20 7-speed cassette, which is available in two different ratios: 12-28T, or 12-32T.

What ratio is better for my purposes?

Thank you for your input!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK so I bought the 32T 7 speed cassette.

What modifications will I need to make it work properly on my bike?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't care about being able to use all 7 speeds, 6 would do if if can get away without changing shifters... (at least for now)

There is a 'reach adjust' screw on my shifter, and a full click goes through 2 gears at a time. Can I adjust that screw so my gears are aligned properly? (i.e. no wanting to jump to next gear etc)

Thanks.

edit: not sure about the dropouts, but the new wheel (without the cassette fitted) fits the frame, I tried it out... is that what you are meaning?

The bike had a 6-speed freewheel type cogs on it, but I have a cassette-type wheel I want to use... since you can't get 6-speed cassettes, I need to go up to 7-speed.

·
Registered
783 Posts
You can respace your new cassette to 6 speed spacing if you don't want to get a new shifter. I'd try taking the spacers off the freewheel and putting them in the new cassette and see how it works.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have one chain whip and a locking nut I use to take the non-freewheel type cassette off...

What is a cassette tool?

Is there any Youtube tutorials or anything? I can't find any. I thought the cogs were one solid piece... how are you able to space them out? :madman:

·
Registered
783 Posts
The cassette tool is like a socket that the lockring so you can tighten it down.

I have seen respacing instructions for 9/10 speed cassettes and you'll be doing basically the same thing. Check Sheldon Browns site for it.

If your cassette doesn't have loose cogs you won't be able to respace it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used an adjustable spanner last time with the locking nut and chain whip to remove the cassette.

I have seen a cassette before where the two end cogs come loose, if the 7-speed cassette I ordered is like that, will I be able to change the spacing?

And where do I get the spacers? What are they called exactly?

Cheers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure, think they are index i.e. click by click, though I am just going to order a new 7-speed gear shifter, I assume the gears on the crank don't need a new shifter?

Thanks.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Most shifters of that era had a switch that changed them from indexed to friction shifting. The way that I remember it is that 6 speed and 7 speed freewheels had the same overall width, the 7 speed had tighter spacing to fit in the extra gear. If your shifter has switch to change it to friction I would just do that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts