Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I’m trying to find the individual(s) who were discussing this….and I can’t find the posts. I could have sworn that they were in the Santa Cruz forums….

A while ago there was at least one person (and I believe more) that were praising the use of a 4X bike for their trailbike (and possibly “do everything” bike).

In any event, I recently got back on a BMX race bike (a 24” cruiser) after an over 20 year absence. I’m really loving the feel, and thought that it might “translate” over to a 4X bike for MTB riding. Can the person(s) that are doing this post, or…can anyone else with experience post?

Thanks a million,

jebfour

·
Boyeeee
1,010 Posts
Been riding one for about a year and a half as my "trail" bike and couldn't be happier. I have it setup with the same cockpit (stem, bars, shifters, brakes, grips) as my VPX and they actually feel amazingly similar. The 4x feels like a mini freeride bike but a lot lighter and capable of much longer rides.

I came off of a Blur "Classic" and much prefer the 4x. I lost a little in climbing ability but gained a lot in fun factor.

·
nerfherder
1,674 Posts
It was fun while it lasted but I moved on. Not so much because of the bike but because I like to try new things. It's great for singletrack, steep descending, even climbing is adequate. Super fun bike. In retrospect, not the best bike for serious chunk, but then again, what four inch bike is?

FWIW, now on a Nomad and Chumba XCL. The XCL actually feels a lot like my old 4X but with a little more clearance and cush.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I've been using my 4X as my do everything bike for a couple years now and everytime I start thinking I should be scraping my pennies together for something new, I have a great ride on my bike and decide that I'm going to ride it til it breaks and I can't get new parts for it.

It's been such a fun bike out in the NC mountains. Most of my buddies have enduros, nomads, and I can hang with them no problem on just about anything. The only time I have to be on my toes is in the really rough stuff when you just can't get away with stupid lines...

They are going to (or already have) quit making the 4X which is a shame since I think it's one of the most fun bikes ever. So if you want one, better to try to pick it up soon.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I'll agree with everything that has been said in regards to the 4x being a good trail bike. Let me add a few negativs: the 4x has a low BB which makes it rail corners, but you will smack pedals often. It's also very slack with a 140 150 fork, which is great for the steep downs, but makes the front end drift on climbs. Also, as mentioned, the short travel doesn't allow you to get sloppy, you need to pick good lines unlike your buddies on 6" or bigger travel bikes. It is a shame SC is not going to continue with this model. It is a super fun bike, just not everyone's cup of tea, and I'm sure that's why SC is not going to make it anymore.

·
Registered
110 Posts
slimat99 said:
I'll agree with everything that has been said in regards to the 4x being a good trail bike. Let me add a few negativs: the 4x has a low BB which makes it rail corners, but you will smack pedals often. It's also very slack with a 140 150 fork, which is great for the steep downs, but makes the front end drift on climbs. Also, as mentioned, the short travel doesn't allow you to get sloppy, you need to pick good lines unlike your buddies on 6" or bigger travel bikes. It is a shame SC is not going to continue with this model. It is a super fun bike, just not everyone's cup of tea, and I'm sure that's why SC is not going to make it anymore.
I agree. Go with a Talas or Pike U-turn and you have yourself a very versatile bike. I have a Talas on mine and I usually have it at 100 or 120 for most xc and pop it up to 140 for DH or long xc descends. I can usually ride much more agressively (and have a little more fun) than most of my xc buddies with little or no weight disadvantage. With the fork short it's still a little slack but I find that climbs are no problem. I throw on a burlier wheelset and I have a decent DH rig. I'm happy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.