Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For the life of me I can't find any 36T rings for my dual chain ring set up with the shifting ridges. Do you think that it would still work all right without the ridges, aka, a ring that's made for a single ring set up? I have found one of those but I am concerned about shifting issues. I'm wondering if it can still pull the chain up for my small 22T ring and if it would let go of the chain as easily for down shifting.

Feedback or experience would be great!

Thanks.

Edit: Also worried about the chain falling in between the small ring and the big ring if there are no shifting ridges.

Will be a replacement for an old 36T ring with shifting ridges but has suffered massive tooth decay.

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,394 Posts
I use Saint 36/22 set up, and works fine. Should work with any Shimano cranks (I am using them on XTR's). Don't know about using them on other cranks.

No problems shifting. Much better ratio/range than the normal 32/22. I don't think a single ring 36T would work. You should be able to order the Saint 36T ring by itself (just make sure it is for the dual ring setup).

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
Quarashi said:
For the life of me I can't find any 36T rings for my dual chain ring set up with the shifting ridges. Do you think that it would still work all right without the ridges, aka, a ring that's made for a single ring set up? I have found one of those but I am concerned about shifting issues. I'm wondering if it can still pull the chain up for my small 22T ring and if it would let go of the chain as easily for down shifting.

Feedback or experience would be great!

Thanks.

Edit: Also worried about the chain falling in between the small ring and the big ring if there are no shifting ridges.

Will be a replacement for an old 36T ring with shifting ridges but has suffered massive tooth decay.
Jeez....

http://www.blackspire.com/qs/product/83/5948/263225/0/0

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please don't assume I'm in the US. I know just about every chainring company makes chainrings with ridges but they are very hard to find here because nobody orders them separately. They only order rings made for single chainring applications.

Yes I COULD order a chainring with shifting ridges but they'll come with the next big shipment the shop orders which is usually around 4 times a year. Ordering individually for international shipments is a hassle.

So, I want to know if the shifting ridges are essential as the rings made for single ring applications are readily available.

mmsteinwand - You were using it with a dual chainring set up? How big was your smaller ring?

Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes, dual ring; 22 and a 36. The shifting isn't as good without the ramps/pins/ridges but it isn't a big deal... I mean one dosn't make that shift that often and you usally do at the bottom of a long climb, or at the top, where I like to slam the saddle and catch my breath. For any short climbs, I just mussle the 36. An added benefit to the single ring style ring is they're cheaper, and should last longer as well!

·
hands up who wants to die
1,405 Posts
Salsa and Blackspire make 36T ramped chainrings. I've used both with good results.

You can easily run a 36T non-ramped chainring and shouldn't have too much trouble downshifting, but upshifting quickly under load (climbing) may be tricky, depending on your set-up and maintenance.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I haven't run 36. . . yet. But I went to a 34, non-ramped and it has worked just fine. Supposedly the SLX system was designed around the 22/36 concept and their fr derailleur has been working just fine for me. I think I'll try a 36 next season, ramped or not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.