Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Uses for Motion control ?

915 views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  keen 
#1 ·
I have my Motion Control set all the way (-) on my Pike. Once in a while I might turn the compression full (+) on a long fireroad climb. On a couple rides I added a little compression / Floodgate action to curb brake dive - problem was once I bumped the compression knob or went full (+) for a climb my settings were disturbed / off. So what are your uses for Motion control ? Do you leave it off or adjusted ? Thanks.

#2 ·
Adjust the floodgate in just enough to provide good support for when you do dial in some compression damping. The heavier you are, the more floodgate (or Motion Control as you call it) you'll need. I use 1 1/2 turns in for me at 170 lbs. Any more than that and the fork isn't as smooth (does have an affect even with compression knob off!), any less and fork dives too much and doesn't offer much lockout/damping with the lever turned on.

Have FUN!

G MAN

#3 · (Edited)
"when you do dial in some compression damping"

That's a solid gripe I have about the MoCo unit. No detents means if you set the compression knob then move it, there goes your settings. I just read the BB MoCo unit has detents ! Now I am trying not to spend big $$ on a Lyrik if I can make my Pike liveable.

#4 ·
BB MoCo has detentes.

Gman086 is right. Set the Floodgate about 1 to 2 turns (depending on weight) in from full minus, and then add about two thirds closed compression damping. Those settings should work well for you.

Finally, find some of the MoCo explanation threads, and learn how it actually works.

#7 · (Edited)
keen said:
I have my Motion Control set all the way (-) on my Pike. Once in a while I might turn the compression full (+) on a long fireroad climb. On a couple rides I added a little compression / Floodgate action to curb brake dive - problem was once I bumped the compression knob or went full (+) for a climb my settings were disturbed / off. So what are your uses for Motion control ? Do you leave it off or adjusted ? Thanks.
What do you mean by "motion control" setting? There is no "motion control" setting. There is a floodgate setting and a compression setting. Motion control is the term for the whole system.

FWIW, I run my floodgate setting nearly fully open (1/4 to 1/2 turn), and the compression usually around half way.

If you want to understand how to use the MoCo, here is my best attempt to explain it from an OLD thread:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=1498056#poststop

In this thread, Bad Mechanic explains the actually mechanics of how it works:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=6569712#poststop

#8 ·
kapusta said:
What do you mean by "motion control" setting? There is no "motion control" setting. There is a floodgate setting and a compression setting. Motion control is the term for the whole system.

FWIW, I run my floodgate setting nearly fully open, and the compression usually around half way.

If you want to understand how to use the MoCo, here is my best attempt to explain it from an OLD thread:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=1498056#poststop
Cmon you figured out what I meant and provided an answer. I have read a few MoCo operation explanations. I was just wondering what settings (compression and floodgate) most were using & why. When I purchased my Pike the salesman promoted the MoCo as primarily a climbing aid like Fox's Propedal.

#9 ·
keen said:
Cmon you figured out what I meant and provided an answer. I have read a few MoCo operation explanations. I was just wondering what settings (compression and floodgate) most were using & why. When I purchased my Pike the salesman promoted the MoCo as primarily a climbing aid like Fox's Propedal.
No, I still have no idea what you mean when you say you are running the motion control fully negative. I just told you what I run, and hoped it helped.

The way I have it set up on my Pike, it is not a climbing aid at all, as it does not lock out much (barely perceptible) when I close the compression.

#10 ·
bad mechanic said:
Full open activates over nearly anything, and once it opens, it doesn't provide much damping. I wouldn't suggest running it full open unless you like it to wallow.
Correct, however, with a PUSH tune they have eliminated the need and corrected the wallow as well as the packing up over successive hits. You can essentially leave the compression off and just turn in some floodgate with the PUSH mod (fork is more sensitive and still has support). I believe keen has that mod. I have the same mod and only dial in some compression for extended climbs and DJ/FR where I can get more boost off of jumps.

Cheers,

G

#11 ·
kapusta said:
No, I still have no idea what you mean when you say you are running the motion control fully negative. I just told you what I run, and hoped it helped.

The way I have it set up on my Pike, it is not a climbing aid at all, as it does not lock out much (barely perceptible) when I close the compression.
(- compression / open floodgate) = least compression = wide open = fully counterclockwise knobs.

#12 ·
keen said:
(- compression / open floodgate) = least compression = wide open = fully counterclockwise knobs.
OK, got it:thumbsup:

I don't like to get too hung up on numbers of turns from open or closed because it is different on the externally and internally adjusted FG models, and even varies a little within the same model.

My Pike is a Coil version.

What I found was that with a softer spring, I did need more compression damping. I would run the FG fairly light, enough that I could tell it was there when I locked the fork out, and the compression usually about 1/2 or 2/3 closed. However, I had better results going with stiffer spring, and then running the compression and floodgate settings even lighter. This really improved the fork for me. I think a spring works better than damping for diving, and the light compression settings were noticeable over rough terrain at high speeds. It felt more controlled and more smooth. At this time I weighed around 190 with gear.

Once I got the PUSH mod, I could run very light FG and comp settings with the softer spring.

Interestingly, I have the exact same MoCo unit in an 80mm Reba, and run VERY different settings.

#13 ·
kapusta said:
OK, got it:thumbsup:

I don't like to get too hung up on numbers of turns from open or closed because it is different on the externally and internally adjusted FG models, and even varies a little within the same model.

My Pike is a Coil version.

What I found was that with a softer spring, I did need more compression damping. I would run the FG fairly light, enough that I could tell it was there when I locked the fork out, and the compression usually about 1/2 or 2/3 closed. However, I had better results going with stiffer spring, and then running the compression and floodgate settings even lighter. This really improved the fork for me. I think a spring works better than damping for diving, and the light compression settings were noticeable over rough terrain at high speeds. It felt more controlled and more smooth. At this time I weighed around 190 with gear.

Once I got the PUSH mod, I could run very light FG and comp settings with the softer spring.

Interestingly, I have the exact same MoCo unit in an 80mm Reba, and run VERY different settings.
I weigh close to 200lb. with gear. I toggled between the firm and extra firm spring. The x-firm spring made the bike ride higher in it's travel and although the ride wasn't harsh it almost felt like I was constantly running full compression w/ a mild gate setting. I have settled on the firm spring as I am not harshly bottoming but I get a little dive and wallow. I want to use the Motion control to take the edge off those issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.