Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a dremel tool for christmas. Please help give me some ideas how to use it! It came with a bunch of various grinding tips that I suppose have different uses, but that eludes me. It also came with some little sand paper roll heads. It did not come with a cutting head? Any suggestions where/which to get?

What sort of mad scientist type stuff can I do with this too? :D

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
FishMan473 said:
I just got a dremel tool for christmas. Please help give me some ideas how to use it! It came with a bunch of various grinding tips that I suppose have different uses, but that eludes me. It also came with some little sand paper roll heads. It did not come with a cutting head? Any suggestions where/which to get?

What sort of mad scientist type stuff can I do with this too? :D
cutting wheel to cut cable housing.
variety of polishing wheels to bring out the shine on parts (I removed the anodizing on a pair of cranks and they require polishing once in a while). I've also used it to file some clumpy brass off a homemade fillet brazed frame before painting.
sandpaper drum for my dog's claws (she likes it better than clippers) and to shave a few mm's off my hub's axles to make a ghetto eno
some folks also use a dremel to drill out cable stops for full housing.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Dremmels come in good for projects around the house. Here are some uses I've had around the house.

1) Cut drywall, there is a bit like a drill bit you can get, but it is a cutting bit. It will slice through drywall like butter. Good for when you're adding phone/TV jacks to your walls. This bit will also cut through wood also, but the bit will dull fast.

2) Mini Router, I was installing new doors and I had to cut a slots for the hinges. I got a routing kit. I also used the router feature to round off the edge of some doors that I had to cut a little to make fit the opening.

3) Mini Drill, You can put small drill bits on it, great for when you want to drill pilot holes in trim so the nails won't split the wood

4) Sharpener, Put a grinding bit on it and you can sharpen your lawn mower blade in like 5 minutes.

Bicycle Uses:

1) Cut housing. Use a cutting disc and you can make a clean cut through housing.

2) Drill out cable stops. I have not done this, but people have drilled out their cable stops so that they could run full length housing.

3) Grind parts down, I used a sanding "cylinder" to grind down some rear shock mounting parts that didn't quite fit. I also used the same trick to grind down some chain ring bolts because I was too lazy to order shorter ones and I already had longer ones lying around.

4) Remove stripped screws, I used a cutting disc to cut a out a thin section of metal off of a stripped out screw head. I was then able to use a flat head screwdriver to remove the screw.

You can get all the stuff at Home Depot and Lowes. They usually have a whole section of bits and other addons for the Dremmel. You will definitely want to get some of those cutting discs, some grinding bits, and some sanding bits. I would also get that cutting bit (looks like a drill bit)

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anything I need to know about the cutting discs before I buy them?

How would a dremel tool be any better then a power drill at drilling out cable stops (brilliant idea BTW, I'll be doing that on my SS verrry soon. (Muah ha ha ha ha!)

For sharpening, do they make special sharpening stone bits?

What kind of bit do I need for polishing? It came with a small brush, but I wasn't sure if that iss a bit or just for clean up afterwards.

Thanks!

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
FishMan473 said:
Anything I need to know about the cutting discs before I buy them?

How would a dremel tool be any better then a power drill at drilling out cable stops
Get the reinforced cutting discs. They're more expensive, but worth it -- they don't shatter in your face (you're wearing goggles, right?).

The 9903 carbide cutting bit is great for cable stops. But whatever bit you choose, I recommend the Dremel flex shaft for easy entry.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=130062

·
Registered
658 Posts
Some times when you need to remove a tiny amount of material. Lets say less than a thickness of a hair. You can use a used smoothed out sanding barrel. (all the sand is ground off) its enough to remove enought material.

I needed a short cage on my saint derailuer and swaped one from a hone. The only problem is that the hone was slightly larger and it wouldnt pivot. ground it down and now it works perfect.

I also ground down the inside of a xtr Derailuer clamp to fit it to a 34mm seatpost. (took forever and was a PIA). But it works. Just needed a longer bolt.

Very usefull for cutting housing on the low setting. The high setting will melt the plastic on the cables.

and many many more.

Allways use goggles!. flying metal sucks. And somthing to cover you nose and mouth for metalic and paint dust. Protect those riding lungs.!

·
Registered
658 Posts
smalbikpro said:
ermm. this isn't one of its recomened uses but you can use it to grind down your teeth so they're all even and pretty.
sweet that will save thousands of dollars on braces for you kids. Dremels are awsome!:thumbsup:

·
Weird huh?
2,286 Posts
another use

I used my Dremel to run a water vapor / hydrogen extracation pump to draw hydrocarbons out of the atmosphere.
I used the by products to fuel my cars for the last 18 months without paying a dime for gas.

I love Dremel!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Definately the cutting disks. Its amazing what you can cut with those. I bought a headset that was too deep for the depression in my head tube and I was able to cut it down 1/4 inch in about 5 minutes before installing it. I also cut off 3/8 inch bolts easily on another project. I used them to slice through 11mm allen wrench in order to use the cut off part in a drill. They cut right though shale when trimming around fosilized fish. Cutting disks are my favorite.

I also like a set of polishing brushes I found at home depot. Two came in the pack and one is very soft. I used it to polish out the inside of my seat tube so a stuborn seatpost would slide in smoother.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Pick up a multi-tool kit for it (cost about $20). It will give you a couple of reamers, sanding discs, cutting wheels, and several other handy bits. I have used mine for cutting hardened tools, removing brake bosses, cutting housing, polishing stuff, etc... Possibilities are endless. Get a rotozip bit or diamond bit and you can drill holes in glass. Whatever you want :thumbsup:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Someone above mentioned reinforced cutting disc. Smart move, the others break with the sligthest side load. I got some diamond cutting disc a couple of years ago and they are great. A bit more expensive but they last forever so they are way cheaper in the end. Plus they will cut anything. They are not Dremel and I forgot where I got them, might have been Harbor Freght or Grizzly. Google search.
They are great for cutting cables and housings. One hint lay them on a wet sponge while you cut the housing and go slow as in cut, pause, cut, pause. The water and slow approach will keep from melting the liner and cover.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Good point about the exploding cutting disks. It doesn't hurt, but it is startling and you could easily get a chunk in the eye.

I use the Dremel for EVERYTHING! Cutting out frozen BB cups, stripped bolts, making ghetto bike parts, you name it.

Best tool ever!

JMH

·
Girt by sea.
463 Posts
I used the polishing disk to remove the "painted" decals on my XtC. Now it's just a clean black frame with design graphics only - no advertising ..... (if Giant want the naming rights to my frame, they can pay me for them!)

Cheers,
Graeme

·
Registered
663 Posts
Kalgrm said:
I used the polishing disk to remove the "painted" decals on my XtC. Now it's just a clean black frame with design graphics only - no advertising ..... (if Giant want the naming rights to my frame, they can pay me for them!)

Cheers,
Graeme
that work well?..... Ive got a new frame I really want the painted decals off....

·
Girt by sea.
463 Posts
Yeah, worked a treat. I found the technique on one of the threads on this site, but buggered if I know where it was for your reference. I'll see if I can google it up for you ....

Here you go:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=1449029

Cheers,
Graeme

·
PM Me for Wood Fenders
1,001 Posts
Cool, I just read the decal removal thread....I have a 95 Trek 7000...and I got an airbrush for Christmas...hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...oh and a sick assortment of dremmel devices...hahaha

·
He be a moose too.
2,174 Posts
Agree with the reinforced cutting discs and goggle advice. I've used them for cutting suspension forks out of their crowns. I run an old school Klein and bought a new fork to fit in my old Klein-specific crown. Details of that operation available here. My LBS used one to cut away a seized BB after a winter of riding in the salt and a definitive lack of grease.

'Guin

·
Registered
439 Posts
Weird application, but I had a mishap with some Pinhead security skewers... one end of these is keyed for removal, while the other end is completely featureless, so you can't get a tool around it. I installed the seat skewer in a seatpost clamp that didn't work with the system, and ended up stupidly threading the featureless end into the clamp. Of course I couldn't get it out... but I used a cutoff wheel to slot the featureless bolt head, and screwed it out, then used a grinding wheel to restore it to its featureless state. Looks exactly the same as when I bought it!

Do be careful with the cutoff wheels, though... I had one break while I was leaning in for some detail work, and the wheel sliced my lip open pretty good.

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
oldskoolbiker said:
4) Remove stripped screws, I used a cutting disc to cut a out a thin section of metal off of a stripped out screw head. I was then able to use a flat head screwdriver to remove the screw.
If you are ever near Bloomsburg, PA, I'll buy you a beer just for that tip alone-it saved me a lot of grief today when I was trying to decide whether an extractor would take out a bad rotor bolt. I had visions of a snapped extractor and/or a ruined hub. It all came out well and the new brakes are all set.

Thanks

Jamie

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.