Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be staying at Usery Mtn Park and planning to ride from the park to Hawes entering at the trailhead on Ellsworth/Usery Blvd. I recall seeing info, and even a map, that showed a trail off the Pass Mtn trail heading west to Ellsworth/Usery Blvd. And from there it was just a short pedal up the road to the Hawes trailhead. Am I making this up? If not, does anyone know of the map I thought I saw? In my mind it was just like epicriders Hawse map only it showed the connect to Usery.

Thanks - Craig from Moab

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,179 Posts
cstuttle said:
Will be staying at Usery Mtn Park and planning to ride from the park to Hawes entering at the trailhead on Ellsworth/Usery Blvd. I recall seeing info, and even a map, that showed a trail off the Pass Mtn trail heading west to Ellsworth/Usery Blvd. And from there it was just a short pedal up the road to the Hawes trailhead. Am I making this up? If not, does anyone know of the map I thought I saw? In my mind it was just like epicriders Hawse map only it showed the connect to Usery.

Thanks - Craig from Moab
Here is a link to Dale's (Epicrider) excellent maps:
http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=54
You might want to print some up before your trip to Phx.

The Pass Mtn/Hawes connection shown on his map is on the north side and from Usery park it brings you in on the back side of the Hawes/Red Mountain system. Another quick way from Usery Park to the main Hawes trails is to head out of the park and turn left (south) on Ellsworth. Turn right on McDowell then right again on Hawes. Just after the second little round-about up the hill look for a trail entrance on your right in the middle of some new construction. It goes straight up the hill for a while (hike-a-bike) but is well worth the effort as it'll hook up to some super sweet singletrack that will bring you right to the mail trail called Hawes. This newer trail is not on Dale's map but it eventually hooks up to where he shows "future trailhead parking by city of mesa". He did most of this map before the Las Sendas area was developed (and where my parents now live!).

I've been wanting to hook up the whole Pass/Hawes using this method for some time, but just haven't made the time. Perhaps when you are here we can do this as a group ride starting at Usery park. When are your trip dates??

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I thought I'd seen that map before.

Plan to leave this Sunday, providing impending winter weather has moved through. If not, first good travel day after Sunday. First part of trip will probably be in Tucson area, heading up to Usery around the 23rd or 24th. Then to McDowell to prepare for the Quadruple Bypass!! I guess Preparing means lots of tequila to boost my testosterone levels. If it works for Landis it should work for me.

At this time it would be difficult for me to post the Pass Mtn/Hawes ride because from lots of experience we cast our plans in sand subject to change frequently so I can't commit to a date and will probably not have internet access. I will be hooking up with Tommy, Salty Dog, on a few rides and when I know for sure our dates I can probably post it through him. My initial thought was just to do the western side of Pass Mtn to connect to Hawes, but if there was interest in doing the whole enchilada I would go for that. I have hiked Pass Mtn and know there our sections way beyond my skill and courage level but that certainly wouldn't prevent me from doing the ride.

So will try to post when I know for sure.

Thanks again - Craig

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
DurtGurl's routes are correct. If you take the road route Ellsworth\McDowell\Hawes, its about 4 miles of road riding and one decent but short road climb. The trail she mentions we call Tower Trail. Its mostly ridable counter-clockwise with a few short pushes most in the beginning. I actually prefer to ride it clockwise from the top of Hawes, to the top of the loop, and then return the same way, as that way is all ridable and there are a few hidden technical shots in Las Sendas you can get.

The spur from the NW corner of the Usery Loop is ~1 mile wash, but its all downhill. It can be a little hard to follow in places, but ends up either at the short pullout across from the gun club, or a bit further down the road at the horse staging area (not the one in the park). Then there is a 1 mile downhill on Usery til the hookup with Wild Horse on your left. Its not really marked so look for a pullout in front of a ~200 yard sandy pit full of glass. Once you make your way through that, Wild Horse branches to the right and then ~5 miles of XC til you get to Twisted Sister.

You can link them all together, but PM is more fun going clockwise, so you'd ride 1/4 of it, then do the Hawes section, then back to PM.

If you include Tower Trail by DurtGurl's route, it will be a pretty long day.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DurtGurl & chollaball

Thanks for the great info. Sounds like a few nice options to get to and from Hawes. And will most likely be doing it midweek, just not sure what day yet. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.