Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, Thinking about riding out at Usery park this weekend, specifically Pass mtn. trail. Has anybody ridden it lately? We were going to tie it in with our Hawes ride. Thanks!

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
AZmtncycle said:
Hey all, Thinking about riding out at Usery park this weekend, specifically Pass mtn. trail. Has anybody ridden it lately? We were going to tie it in with our Hawes ride. Thanks!
Sure, always a nice ride. The rain's probably tamped down some of the loose business at the back of the mountain. Last time I was out there was...November I think. Some horse damage but otherwise same-same.

The backside poach between Hawes, Wild Horse, and Pass makes for a pretty long day. I'd allow 5 hours. Great ride, good luck finding the connectors.

p.

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
usery park pass mtn trail

thanks Paul. We hope to tie this in with Hawes, Twisted Sister and whatever the horse trail is that's between the Usery park entrance and where Twisted Sister dumps out on Usery road. Is that called Wild Horse? Not sure if it meets up with Pass Mtn or not.

·
Registered
264 Posts
AZmtncycle said:
thanks Paul. We hope to tie this in with Hawes, Twisted Sister and whatever the horse trail is that's between the Usery park entrance and where Twisted Sister dumps out on Usery road. Is that called Wild Horse? Not sure if it meets up with Pass Mtn or not.
They don't "meet", but the trailheads aren't far apart. From where Wild Horse hits Usery Pass Rd. (You'll have to lift your bike over the fence, but I was told by Rangers last week that that is ok.), ride south on the road, up the hill. On the east side of the road you'll pass the largish horse staging parking lot, keep going. Not real far after that you'll encounter a small parking area, again on the east side, for a hiking trail head. IIRC, it's not really marked, but it's pretty obvious, and there's a gate (break in the fence) into the park (here it's probably Nat. Forest). There's a sign of some sort, but I don't recall what it's about; probably about not shooting.

This trail is basically a wash, but it's not all sand and is not that bad to ride up. The way up is pretty obvious. There are bike tracks. Just keep going up the wash.

Eventually the wash meets up with Pass Mtn trail. It'll be obvious, although there is a small cairn there.

Go left to take the nasty face on the east side of the mountain down (not really ride-able, imho). Go right to eventually hike-a-bike up that face. Most people go CW, left. The south end is very nice right now. Horse mucking up is minimal, if even noticable. There are a couple of long rocky washes that you'll decend, but they aren't that bad.

I'd be interested in hearing how long this entire loop is. I did most of it a couple of weeks ago and logged 24 miles. I reckon the full loop must be something over 30. That is, if you ride up and to the right from the Hawes base (Pig), circle the perimeter (Hawes, Saddle Back), go out Twisted, to Horse, loop Pass Mtn, back on Horse, Twisted, then go right to Mine, and then finish on Ridge.

·
I am Doctor Remulak
1,425 Posts
kAZ said:
I'd be interested in hearing how long this entire loop is. I did most of it a couple of weeks ago and logged 24 miles. I reckon the full loop must be something over 30. That is, if you ride up and to the right from the Hawes base (Pig), circle the perimeter (Hawes, Saddle Back), go out Twisted, to Horse, loop Pass Mtn, back on Horse, Twisted, then go right to Mine, and then finish on Ridge.
We did this ride about a year ago (TRW, Hawes, Twisted Sister Wild Horse, Pass Mtn and back) and it was either 35 or 38 miles of fantastic riding. I love the view from the north side of Pass Mtn.

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pass mtn. access from wild horse

We plan to drop in at the north end of Hawes rd. down the hill and over to the mine shaft, twisted sister intersection. Take Twisted Sister out to Usery road. I believe its maybe only 1/4-1/2 mile till wild horse parking lot. Up that trail until we can find signs of Pass mtn. trail. We'll ride that Clockwise and come out at the Park entrance and spin back to Hawes road. I'm guessing somewhere between 20-25 miles? Thanks for your help guys! :D

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Wish i could go...

This sounds like a great ride. I would go if I had my Fox Talas shock, which I blew out the other day (I should be back in business next Monday). I would be interested to hear how this trip goes for you.

Steve 'AZClaydesdale'

·
pedaller
2,400 Posts
Here's a Pic of the Twisted Sister

trail from a year ago. My wife (Amy-pictured) and I along with AZ Mikey & Durtgurl did a ride out there late last February. It's one of the many fun sections of trails out at Hawes. :cool:

Attachments

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fantastic ride!!!!!

OK, this turned out to be one of the best rides ever. Me and Dirtbag had a little problem finding the link between Usery Rd. and pass mtn trail ( we went up the 1st wash that has the big parking lot and large white steel pole). After a mile up the wash, we realized this wasn't going to work so we turned back and continued south on Usery until we saw what looked to be a break in the fence (two large wooden poles but still had fencing between the two). Lifted our bikes over and rode the wash up until we found the tie in with pass mtn. trail. Pass mtn trail was sooo sweet. The scenery on the northeast side is unparalled. The downhill was just as fun as Geronimo or Holbert. Spun over to upper Hawes and flew down the hill and back to our Thomas/Recker starting point. 36 miles, 5 hours of riding and all we could say was "that was soo awesome".Thx to KAZ for general directions linking pass mtn. trail to Usery rd. :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.