Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So 3 weeks ago my Gary Fisher Cake cracked at the seat tube to top tube junction. I thought "good thing I went with a brand that has a life time warranty!" So today I received a new, and much upgraded, frame.

Unfortunately, the head tube is too long for the steerer on my fork. SO I called the shop and they say they can't help me. I called Trek, and they say "sorry, only the frame has a warranty and they have no warranty forks to provide."

I explain that if I had a Chevy Malibu and the engine fails, I wouldn't expect to get the better Corvette drive train that is unusable as a replacement.

So here I am out $400-600 to purchase a new fork. At a minimum I am out the $150 + rebuild to buy new uppers for my fork. (Which I just paid $50 to have done last month)

That isn't a very helpful warranty to me.

Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Electric blue Bicycle tire Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But I DID buy a frame from a manufacturer who offered a life time warranty. I figure that meant if if the frame broke, no dollars woudl need to leave my pocket. Unfortunately, this is going to cost me $$$ to get back on the trail.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
If I knew what other site to suggest, I'd tell you to take your Hatorade somewhere else.

Got any suggestions?
Hatorade...very nice, i like it. is that a clinical reference of some sort that you picked up while studying for your stoopid degree? it definitely applies to rroeder

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
Ran into the same problem with Trek......been dealing with it for almost a month now. Guy breaks a '05 Remedy at the non-drive chainstay......send in the warranty info......get confirmation they are sending out '09 Remedy 9.......great! Frame shows up. Hmmmm, how are we supposed to install the headset and 1 1/8" steerer tube that came off the '05 frame into the 1 1/8 - 1.5" tapered headtube???? Also, since Trek has this great ABP rear dropout system, how are we supposed to tighten down the rear wheel in the frame when you don't have the special rear skewer.......because again the one on the '05 will not work.

We did get Trek to send out the headset and skewer as part of the warranty, but are still having issues getting the adapter to run the regular fork in the tapered headtube.

Customer is stoked because he is getting a new frame after 4 years, but bummed that it is taking so long.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This wasn't supposed to sound like drama from me, but I am annoyed that my lifetime warranty doesn't get me back on the trail.

I could go buy a "factory" frame for $600 that would fit all my parts if i hunt a little. Same $600 as a new fork and then sell this frame on Ebay maybe. So I will be out nothing. I guess there is some worth, just the hassle of my old hardtail for another 3-4 weeks.

·
WNC Native
3,984 Posts
Yeah, but think about it like this. If you buy the new fork and 5-6 years down the road this new frame breaks, then you will get another new one. If you sell it and buy another one and then it breaks after say 2 years (seems to be a lot of other bikes warranty period). You will be in worse shape. Fisher's warranty is a good warranty. Could they make things easier when everything doesn't transfer over and possibly offer the new different needed parts, Yes. However I'd say this scenario happens far less, than most simple frame swaps.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Along those lines, I could sell it and buy a Cannondale. They don't "experiment" with things the way Fisher/Trek does certainly.

When I had my previous Cannondale was replaced, they gave me the 1.5-to-1.125 adapter because my old stuff wouldn't work. (Seems logical and fair)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not hating, just trying to get others opinions on this. But, I will never recommend a Fisher again. I will also likely dissuade my friends as well. (Trek too) I know of 5 sales that have been Fisher from me singing the song of the great bike.

·
aka bOb
8,814 Posts
You could just buy a different brand that has the industry norm of a one, two or three year warranty, brake it and pay for everything out of pocket. For example go buy a Titus for 1800 clams frame only and get a two year warranty. I didn't buy my Fish for the warranty I bought it for the fit, the warranty was just a bonus.

1 - 20 of 160 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.