Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I ended up putting 20wt gold Fox suspension fluid in the damper-side oil bath of what I am now guessing is a 2010-2012 F29 fork with an open bath design. I have the 10wt Red ordered. Can I just drain the 20wt gold and replace with the 10wt Red fluid, or did I damage the seals, or do something else more permanent? The wrong fluid has been in the fork for several days now, but the bike has not been ridden since the wrong fluid was added.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point. Yes - I replaced the wiper seals with new ones from Fox, which is why I thought it would be OK to use 20wt gold in the first place. The fork didn’t have any ID on it (other than F29) and I didn’t pay attention to how much fluid was in it originally. I was gambling on it not being the open bath design, but I was wrong...

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Some prefer to use 20 Gold in the damper side lower. The only downside is it will (very) slowly get ingested by the damper and mix with the 5W damper oil. This is why Fox specified the 5W teflon oil for the damper lower. FiT4 dampers also ingested oil, but had damper shaft seals that were better so ingested oil even more slowly, but they also had more friction. The Grip design with self purging damper was intended to reduce that friction.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.