Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I sold my 2011 Stumpy FSR as I was tired of the issues I was having and I got a good offer on it. Want something stout, FS and not a pig to ride up a mountain. Keep in mind I already blew through a wheelset and rear linkage on my 6month old FSR.

Now I am desperate to get on a new bike.

1. Found a 2009 build WFO with a new Reba RL 140mm fork it's a XO/XT build with some nice touches like a Thompson cockpit and Flows on Hope hubs. But it is "old".

1. (B) There is also a 2010 frame and fork (new Marz 44ti 140) on the classifieds here but it will cost a little more to build up with new parts using X9 stuff

$3000

2. A 2012 Stumpy FSR is going to cost the same in Comp spec it's a x9/x7 build. But it has the PFBB and 142 rear axle.

3. ? (i was thinking about a horsethief from salsa but can't wait till next year to get it. Also would love a RIP but can find one under budget.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I would err towards the new Stumpy myself. But, not knowing what issues you had with your previous one....

The stock Spec wheels are nothing special. Stupid factory built. Have had issues with mine, so just built a set up myself. Works brilliantly now.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah the wheels were junk factory had to replace the front hub but even that hub developed play in it, makes me think there was an issue with the front fork. But I also had other issues the rear linkage had a bad bearing and couldn't get rid of a creak. RIght now I am just debating if its worth getting another one with the new design and wheel set or if I should just go big and get a WFO. Would love a RIP but can't find any used...

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Not sure why, but Spec wheels seem to be rubbish. Not sure what the new Roval ones that seem to be popping up on the 2012 bikes will be like though. Hopefully better...well, they probably can't be much worse!

As for creaks - that was why I got rid of my FS bikes. That and that I do not really need any here.

Sounds like the Stumpy would suit you better. Any Pitch's around? They are great fun too.

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
What size WFO are you looking for? What ever you get, make sure it has good hubs in the wheelset. I got tired of crappy machine built wheels and learned to build my own wheels right, with a tensiometer to keep things all equal and in balance. Completely solved all my wheel build issues and problems. A properly tensioned wheel will last as long as you take care of it, don't do stupid things like tail whips, or case it on jumps, which is gross abuse.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm looking for a medium. A RIP would be my first choice but can't find one used and new is just to much money.

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
Yeah the wheels were junk factory had to replace the front hub but even that hub developed play in it
as far as i can tell the wheelset is pretty much the same from 2011to 2012. the new rims look like rebadged dt 520 sl's, the front hub is the same and the rear hub just uses 142 spacing. not an upgrade or a downgrade imo.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep only that maybe the front hub might be a design change going from the "old" 20mm to the "new" 15mm.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well just picked up a Marz 44ti fork and a 2010 Niner WFO frame so I'm going to start the build!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts