Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fo - can you post anything here? ;)

So much of this forum is many of us showing off our flash high dollar rigs, that fully includes myself. How about this post be a place where people can post and brag about the cheap or abused stuff. :thumbsup:

Please post photos here acompanied with the story behind the bike or bike part that either continues to serve is owner and/or was really-really cheap.

I'll start with the following bike. Though not technically a modern day 29er it will apeal to many as can take 700c wheels and has canti brakes. I got the bike from the junk yard for $6. It is an a early 90s touring rig made of 531c Reynolds. I had the frame and fork acid bathed andd powder coasted for $50. I picked up the crank and derailures from the junk yeard as well for less than $10. Added a new LX BB, cables, alittle elbow grease and handle bar tape.

Then I made the HUGE mistake of selling it :madman: , but alas the garage is full and the build was fun while it lasted.

Sold for $100.....made someone really happy.

Attachments

·
Just Ride!
806 Posts
Sweet ride. I'm also a fan of road bikes w/ canti brakes( and big tires). Too bad you sold it but maybe one day the junkyard might have another jewel waiting for you.

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
What "junk" yard are you going to?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Down here they call 'em "Tips"

Evel Knievel said:
What "junk" yard are you going to?
Two "Tips" [like tip truck or dump truck] actually, Porirua and Happy Valley both near Wellington New Zealand..

9 times outtta 10 you drive out there and there is just pure crap - but occassionally you find a gem or two.

·
Transplant
881 Posts
Well this is technically a 29er.

The frame was in great shape and a customer of mine was going to throw it away. Instead I told her I would find a use for it. Well after digging around in the different recycled parts bins in the shop, this is my creation. Now I did have to buy the fork, handlebars, brake levers and rear brake adapter but the rest was either donated or taken from the old bike shop recycling bin.

Attachments

·
Bunker Hill Bikes
308 Posts
Cross breed

Here is my ugly. Built from old parts from the bin, a little rear brake engineering, throw in some 29er wheels, and a cross fork.

Viola! old becomes new for the cross and commute.

Cheers,

Chad

Attachments

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
Old, abused, cheap, and anti bling describes all my bikes... I sometimes think I run a retirement home for old unloved bikes and these are but a few of the current residents.

My "Critter" - I got the bike (a Raleigh Criterium 12 speed) in exchange for a case of beer and then proceeded to convert the drive to a 3 speed SA hub, added wider 1.75 tires, added flat bars, and added half step pedals to make what is one of my favourite bikes. All the parts came from my shop with the exeption of some NOS Dia-Compe brakes that cost me all of $10.00.

1973 Raleigh Carlton - Found in a thrift shop for 10.00 and then converted to an SS with a total build cost of $70.00. Even with the vintage wheels and NOS centre-pull brakes the bikes curbs out in the low 20's and can keep pace with speeding traffic...perhaps that Reynolds 531 frame has something to do with it.

My 1955 Peugeot PLX 10 "Grande Tourisme" - I found this bike after it had been abandoned and after it went unclaimed it became mine.

"Jenny" - My reliable old Trek that I picked up used for $110.00, have ridden for 1000's of miles and now sees service as an SS.

My '78 Raleigh Superbe - This was what she looked like the day I saved her from the crusher. She has since gotten some new blackwalls, a new Brook's saddle, and provided me me with nothing but the greatest of riding pleasures.

·
paintbucket
2,825 Posts
Not a 29er, but this is one of my commuters. A Jamis Dakota from 1986. Fillet brazed 4130. I took the rear derailleur off and shortened the chain to make it a singlespeed, but never bothered to take off the freewheel (I think its a Dura-ace 6sp). The oddest thing about this bike is the steerer. Its bmx sized (.883" I think) so when I went to convert the stem from quill to the modern standard I had to have one of those cheap nashbar converter things milled down to fit.

I bought the bike (as well as the frame that's currently my fixed gear) from a guy in Gainesville, FL back in the late 80s. When I moved here to SC in the mid 90s I found that he lives here now as well. Small world. Thanks Tom! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
A buddy of mine dug up an old Peugeot Corbier recently for his commuter bike. Being on the local cycling e-mail list worked out for him as this was advertised "just come get it" out someone's garage who wanted to clear some space.

Full build story here: https://505live.com/?p=153

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
And here is a 26er SS I built up into a singlespeed. Frame was part of bike that someone "gave" to LBS when they upgraded to newer MTB. Destined for trash bin, I took the frame, seatpost/collar and shop employees took the rest. Bike rode like a dream and was silly fast when I had it. Sold it for $185 recently suprisingly - price based primarily on the expensive Schwalbe on back..

Note I was never able to get Singulatro to "push-up" position, but did later add a half link which tightened up the chainline singnifcantly.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
HardTail29er said:
Then I made the HUGE mistake of selling it :madman: , but alas the garage is full and the build was fun while it lasted.

Sold for $100.....made someone really happy.
That is one beautiful bike that you salvaged. I feel your pain in selling and have similiar regrets on past MTBs that were sold "to clear garage space"

Maybe we should just focus on getting a bigger garage!

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
My Peugeot PLX has 700c wheels that are 1.75 inches wide.

I don't expect too many 29r's to have reached the point of being unwanted or unloved yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts