Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,
I have a old stumpjumper and have seen a pair of 26" used mavic ust tubeless wheels for sale. I do not know anything about tubeless but have seen them adv. and talked about.
How can a person figure out what life would be left on these wheels what questions should they ask seller? The seller said they have a few hundred miles on them.

Also would it be better to get the stan's converter kit for $69 if the price for the tubeless are at $70.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Atomic300 said:
Ok,
I have a old stumpjumper and have seen a pair of 26" used mavic ust tubeless wheels for sale. I do not know anything about tubeless but have seen them adv. and talked about.
How can a person figure out what life would be left on these wheels what questions should they ask seller? The seller said they have a few hundred miles on them.

Also would it be better to get the stan's converter kit for $69 if the price for the tubeless are at $70.
Ask if they are true with even spoken tension, smooth bearings and FH.

If they do have that little use, they should be fine.

UST is dead easy with UST tires.

DIY tubeless conversions are a crap shoot. May or may not work with your rims and the tires you choose.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Atomic300 said:
Ok,

Check the bearings they cost a minimuim of $50 bucks to replace.

Check to make sure all the spokes have some tension in them (Mavic's run pretty low tension...check to see that they are true...

Lastly examine the valve hole very closely if it has been drilled out for scharder valves or there is any sign of cracking stay away from that wheel.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jeffscott said:
Check the bearings they cost a minimuim of $50 bucks to replace.

Check to make sure all the spokes have some tension in them (Mavic's run pretty low tension...check to see that they are true...

Lastly examine the valve hole very closely if it has been drilled out for scharder valves or there is any sign of cracking stay away from that wheel.
thanks all these are all good pointers. I am now thinking that if the bearings are worn out just maybe for the cost I would try the stan's. I did a search on this site for stans and read some things people had to report. It seems the tire brand plays a big part for stans.
I have yet to make a decision.

Are tubeless all the rage now, I ask since it has been at least two years off of the mtb bike and got a new road bike last year. Since alot of my riding options got closed down.
I will try and get back into mtb bike this summer too.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Atomic300 said:
thanks all these are all good pointers. I am now thinking that if the bearings are worn out just maybe for the cost I would try the stan's. I did a search on this site for stans and read some things people had to report. It seems the tire brand plays a big part for stans.
I have yet to make a decision.

Are tubeless all the rage now, I ask since it has been at least two years off of the mtb bike and got a new road bike last year. Since alot of my riding options got closed down.
I will try and get back into mtb bike this summer too.
The rims are a big factor in DIY success or failure, too.

Still nothing wrong with using tubes, especially if you have few problems up to now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts