Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Advice Please!
I am interested in upgrading from my bb7s to a lightweight xc hydro system (Martas, Juicy carbon, etc) to get better modulaiton and reduce hand fatigue during endurance rides. How risky is buying used hydro systems? what red flags should I be looking for, while inquiring on the net and looking at detailed pics. Some components, like cranksets, are easy to determine the amount of wear and tear. I worry a lot of nasties may be undetectable with a used hydro system? Or, tell me I'm overly paranoid, please.

thanks for the info

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
You're right to be cautious, I believe. The main problems that you'll run into with hydraulic systems will be seal related; they fail and the system will leak or pistons will become sticky or jammed. My first hydraulic brakes were Hope Minis, which I bought safe in the knowledge that I could buy every component required to overhaul the caliper and lever. Because you just don't know how well a brake has been maintained, or even if the seller's idea of 'well maintained' is the same as yours, a brake which is two or three years old could be a day or a year away from needing new seals or pistons.
As far as I know, Avid and Shimano brake sets are not user serviceable; Formula, Hayes and Hope are more or less entirely serviceable. I've never seen service kits for Magura's disc brakes.

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,725 Posts
so if you are thinking about getting used, then it would be better to stick to brands which you can easily get seals & parts for. otherwise just get them new.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
"Avid brakes ARE user serviceable. All parts can be ordered by your LBS."

Great; another one to add to the the list, then.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
chairthruster said:
Advice Please!
I am interested in upgrading from my bb7s to a lightweight xc hydro system (Martas, Juicy carbon, etc) to get better modulaiton and reduce hand fatigue during endurance rides. How risky is buying used hydro systems? what red flags should I be looking for, while inquiring on the net and looking at detailed pics. Some components, like cranksets, are easy to determine the amount of wear and tear. I worry a lot of nasties may be undetectable with a used hydro system? Or, tell me I'm overly paranoid, please.

thanks for the info
Very risky considering the reason most people sell them are because of problems with them. I got burned once.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
"Very risky considering the reason most people sell them are because of problems with them."

Yes, people will sell because their brakes are problematic, but if you can pick up a brake which is serviceable then it's pretty much win/win. Sometimes the 'problem' is nothing more than a brake in need of a bleed. And don't forget upgraditis; some people only keep a brakeset for a season or two (or less!) before they hanker after the current 'best' new brake. There are plenty of genuine bargains to be had, it just takes a little time and research.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts