Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a decent set of forumla R1 for sale locally. I have a light weight flash 29er and would love to ditch my elixer 3s.

I would like to run a 140mm rotor in the rear and would like the brakes to be powerful. I have not used either brakes yet.

The questions are. What brake would have more power? Im sure the formulas will modulate better but I think many say modulate in place of lack of power. My elixers 3s modulate awesome, so awesome I almost kill my self lol.

I know the fomulas are lighter and that is important.

After a week in North Carolina on 160 f/r on the avids im done with them . the arm pump I had was horrid and the lack of power had me being very cautious.

Both of there set can be had for 200.00

Thanks

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I love my r1s brakes, modulation is wonderful and they are powerful enough to stop my 240 lbs coming down very steep fire roads at 40mph.

I have no experience with XT brakes

·
Registered
221 Posts
What year are the used R1s you're looking at? The Formula guys always recommended The One as their preferred brake (we used to distribute them) but the R1s are comparable in performance and weight. The XTs are extremely reliable and brake well under all conditions. With the XTs, the warranty is still intact so that's a plus just in case you have a "part failure". Cheers

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,824 Posts
I love my r1s but, i got them used as well and they are a finicky brake which has centering issues and take some tricks to mount. I use a piece of card stock as a spacer and a lot of trial and error when mounting to center properly. Also if you follow the instructions for the lever mount to the letter you will shear off the mounting bolts (long story). Anyways if you are experienced with tinkering with brakes go for the r1s as they are lighter, and IMO stronger than the xt's.

But if you want to mount em and forget em, go with the xt's which will give you the benefits of warranty and mineral oil as well.

·
West Chester, PA
4,958 Posts
I would never buy used brakes, too great of a chance that you'll be inheriting somebody else's problems.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What year are the used R1s you're looking at? The Formula guys always recommended The One as their preferred brake (we used to distribute them) but the R1s are comparable in performance and weight. The XTs are extremely reliable and brake well under all conditions. With the XTs, the warranty is still intact so that's a plus just in case you have a "part failure". Cheers

Seller hasnt got back to me yet. But I am leaning towards the xt as I right now. I dont have the budget if there is any issues with them and reliability is what I wish my avids had right now.

Warranty is also a bonus.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So it looks like the xts are getting the vote.

Any one think they are powerfull enough to use a 140mm rotor on the rear for xc use.

Just got back from N.C and the avids with 160mm were enough to slow me down but really do lack any real bite.

My frame is set up for 140mm rear and wouldnt mind trying it out.

*ordered* Chain reaction makes my marriage hurt......

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
hydro brakes one of hte most finicky and hard to initially detect issues parts. For excellent value new XTs cost, wouldn't get anything else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts