Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I am thinking about getting a FS mtb and getting back into doing some mountain biking after about 9 years of mostly road riding.

I'm looking at 2 bikes, a demo '09 GF Rumblefish for ~ $2500 and a used (mechanic owned) '08Trek Fuel EX-9 for $1500.

I'm leaning toward the EX-9 for two key reasons. I rode an EX-9 on trails recently and liked it. Such a big difference over my rigid hardtails of old! And it costs a grand less than the Fisher. The Trek is pretty lightly used and owned/maintained by a shop mech. so I'm pretty confident it's going to be a good bike without issues right out of the gate.

The Fisher would be considered as a "new" bike for warranty purposes, and it's a purchase that would get me some other benefits at the bike shop, but I'm not sure they balance out the $1k difference up front.

I know I'd need to ride the Rumblefish before buying, but I don't know that I'd get a chance to ride it offroad, so I'd be going in a little bit blind. I think 29" wheels are OK for my upper Midwest riding areas, but I don't think it's "OMG you gotta ride a 29-er here" territory. I'm 5'10" so my size doesn't indicate a need for a 29" bike. I haven't researched these a ton, by I might even be on the short side for a 29'er.

I know I'm the only one who can make the ride, fit, and money decisions. I'm just curious if there's anything that I'm not considering or any particular insights you guys may have.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

·
I'm just messing with you
5,423 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't spend that much money for a bike that has no warranty

1 - 2 of 2 Posts