Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Pin it
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I"m going to look at a used Dh bike and was wondering what to look for. Here is what I'm planning on looking for:

Frame damage (i.e. cracks, dents, etc.)
Worn Pivots (play in suspension)
Worn fork seals (oil on stanchions)
Relatively true wheels

Of course I'm looking for good fit, but have never ridden a DH bike so I'm not sure the difference in fit compared to an all mountain bike.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Make sure to do some research on the parts that are coming on the bike as this should factor into your thinking for price. There are some brakes, cranks etc. (i.e. Hayes El Caminos). that were known as having issues and you will want to replace.

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
I'd say one of the biggest factors is who you're buying your bike from. Are you buying it from some guy that beat the crap out of his bike and didn't do any maintenance? Or are you buying it from a bike mechanic or someone with connections to a bike company?

Without sounding like a creeper I think you should ask whomever you're buying your bike from their background. If a bike has been taken care of then there is a whole lot less to worry about then someone that wants to dump it off for the cash.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Raptordude said:
I'd say one of the biggest factors is who you're buying your bike from. Are you buying it from some guy that beat the crap out of his bike and didn't do any maintenance? Or are you buying it from a bike mechanic or someone with connections to a bike company?

Without sounding like a creeper I think you should ask whomever you're buying your bike from their background. If a bike has been taken care of then there is a whole lot less to worry about then someone that wants to dump it off for the cash.
He's got plenty of money he bought a Nico. :D

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
look at bottom of fork, chainstays on both sides, pedals and cranks....for strikes and scratches versus rocks. Missisng pegs on pedals....are rims strait? do rims have scratches, bent levers, scratches on bars, bent seat, tears on seat....check linkage, cheak shock and fork,......when was the last time fork and rear shock serviced. How long have you had bike....what type of riding did you do.....how good of a rider are you....do you race....what terrain you ride......when was the last time bike was in shop.....what shop you go to for service (go to shop and ask how guy treats bike)....

those are things I would do.....hopefully it helps

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Id look at welds, connecting tubes gussets etc for hairline cracks (remember that Powder coat can crack as well lookinglike a structural crack).
Id make sure the head tube isnt ovalized check threads on BB and other areas. Chain stays is a good place to see if they protected the bike or not with missing material and hard abbrasion fro chain slap. Check top tube for fork dents (from crashing) and down tube for dents as well.
Aside of that Ive ridden bikes with dents and never thought twice about it! Just as long as its not big or in a critical area! Ride it and enjoy!
Cracked a BB on a bike and eventually it fell off with my feet still on the pedals on a landing! Scared the skittles outa me!

·
Pin it
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Bike rides awesome. Before riding it I couldn't imagine bikes could ride that great. Time for another ride, peace out and enjoy the pictures.

Sorry some pictures are sideways, they are correct on my computer and uploaded weird.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.