Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a little help here. I need to upgrade my brakes pretty badly and was pretty set on getting the Hayes Stroker Trails which I can get new for a bit over $200/pr. I found a Craigslist ad for Elixir CRs for $200 with G3 Rotors. Seller says they are 7 months old, but in excellent condition other than a few scratches on the calipers. I would be picking them up but I don't really know if I can tell if there is anything wrong with them just by looking. I would hate to be out $200 if there was an issue.

I really like the Elixirs and like the weight. I would prefer these over the Hayes but don't know about the used status. Should I be worried that they are used? Is there anything I can check if I go look at them? The seller isn't very close to me so it'd be a good drive just to check them out.

opinions on buying used?

·
Registered
332 Posts
i have stroker trails, they are nice brakes...my rear squeals a bit, but from what i can see that happens with all discs at some point. My trails aren't as light as a lot of other disc brakes but i dont really worry that much about weight so idk not a selling point for me.. they stop well and they modulate nicely, the really nice thing is the levers though, for me the levers are really comfortable, the fit in my hand really nice, i have a small hand so my old vee's were a pain.

in the end, there are alot of nice things about the stroker, and ive only had a very minor problem with them... which i will say for the record is being fixed by hayes, for free...they are nice enough to send me free semi metallic pads to fix my problem...

hayes CS is really good, one of the best ive ever dealt with

my .02...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts