Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you tell if a used cassette is still good or too worn to be any good?

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
When you get a new chain, if it slips or skips even a little bit (on the cassette) then the cassette is worn.

The chain will very quickly streatch out to match the wear and the skipping will tend to go away.

I noticed this with my chain measuring tool.

So your chain life is also reduced (if you change it when the tool reads 1).

I seem to get 2 or 3 chains per cassette.

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
crisillo said:
usually when cassettes are worn, they start skipping in your "favorite gears" when you install a fresh chain
Guess I need to rephrase the question. I am buying a wheelset that has an SRAM 11-34T cassette on it and wanted to know how I could tell how used that cassette is. The 34T ring may come in handy sometimes.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
It is hard to tell "by eye".... it would have to be pretty worn for you to tell by looking at it...

however, as we said before...your chain will tell you pretty fast ;)... no harm in trying it..

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's a pic of the cassette. Probably like already said, hard to tell by eye but here it is nontheless.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Jeff is right.. those 2 look pretty worn... sorry.. you can still try it like Jeff recommended (chainwhip, etc)...but even it it looks ok in the stand..it might skip under pressure...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.