Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get into a Cannondale lefty XC & looking at buying either a new 2013 Scalpel 3 29er or a used 2013 Scalpel Carbon2.
I can get the new Scalpel3 for $2750 (2013 discounted price) vs a used 2013 Carbon2 for maybe $2800. Issue is that the used carbon has been raced on and pushed, even though used for only one season. All bikes I have bought used so far have been lightly used vs this one in my opinion falls under the heavily used category, not to mention its also carbon.

I want to go for the carbon however I am not into racing and I am not sure if the heavily used bike is a better choice against a brand new non-carbon with lower specs. A part of me thinks its just better to get a new bike & play safe.

Can people advise on their experience, if any, in buying a used Carbon bike? Let me know your comments.

Thanks

·
Registered
14,054 Posts
You have new carbon options in that price range. Trek Superfly 9.6(with money for upgrades) and Scott Scale 930.
Lifetime warranty on the Trek. I demoed it and recommend taking a look.

·
Registered
14,054 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion ..... I will check out the Scale at my LBS tomorrow!
Check out the Scale but it has a tight rear tire clearance between the chainstays--68.5mm.
You can get some tire rub in hard cornering with wider tires.
The Trek has close to 80mm.
I have demoed the Trek and it is a game changer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I live in northern Alberta and its still way too cold to even test ride a bike ..... I couldn't really make anything out of looking at the bike & sitting on it! Tough luck!

Maybe we get a warm break in a couple of weeks.

Meanwhile .... what are your 2 cents on buying a used race bike? Also have you checkout out any of Cannondale's lefties?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I bought a used carbon race bike. belonged to a former merida ambassador. Besides needing some parts replaced due to wear its been a dream to ride and i love it.
mine was a 2011 merida 96er team carbon which i bought last year. former owner was into 24hr and endurance racing.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
I live in northern Alberta and its still way too cold to even test ride a bike ..... I couldn't really make anything out of looking at the bike & sitting on it! Tough luck!

Maybe we get a warm break in a couple of weeks.

Meanwhile .... what are your 2 cents on buying a used race bike? Also have you checkout out any of Cannondale's lefties?
When it comes to used carbon, ask yourself this- Can you afford a replacement if it breaks? You have no warranty. While I own a carbon frame, I still have an issue buying used carbon, don't ask why.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
I personally wouldn't be likely to buy a carbon frame even new unless it was from a company with a very generous and speedy replacement policy and a local shop that's gong to be totally in your corner if there are any problems. Have seen enough cases of pricey frames failing for no discernable reason and people having to jump through hoops to get them taken care of to know I want no part of it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is not problem with carbon, just take care of your bike! I think buying a used bike really depends how well it was taken care of, its price should reflect its use. Before you pay, check every part on the bike, the last thing you want is to pay a "good deal" on the used bike and then have a $200 repair bill when you find problems. The frame should be fine from a year of use minus a few scratches. The components will be the important part to check. I would see if you could go for a new bike, I always prefer that unless its a good deal on the used bike and I'm sure the bike is in good condition.

·
Registered
14,054 Posts
I'd go for SF 9.6.
Lifetime frame warranty.
Very good components.
Upgrade the fork damper cartridge to Motion Control DNA RLT for $170 list minus whatever discount your lbs gives for buying the bike.
Upgrade the cassette to XT for the carrier.
This will be more bike than you need for some time.
Do a wheelset in the future.
Here's something for until the snow melts.

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
I personally wouldn't be likely to buy a carbon frame even new unless it was from a company with a very generous and speedy replacement policy and a local shop that's gong to be totally in your corner if there are any problems. Have seen enough cases of pricey frames failing for no discernable reason and people having to jump through hoops to get them taken care of to know I want no part of it.
^^^this. Cannondale turn around time is rediculous but it's not the slowest:). Carbon is surprising easy and affordable to fix if broken.

My Alu C'dale took about 4 months to get replacement. Actually, it was the carbon raven exchanged for Alu Jekyll. It was not my only or main bike so I didn't pay much attention. If it's your main ride it could be a long downtime. No loaner was offered either:(. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk pro

1 - 11 of 11 Posts