Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying a used frame, that has obviously had rough days. I know the frame is "alloy." The chainstays have a LOT of paint missing, but it's all smooth non-rusted metal. My concern is the headtube and crank/bottom bracket. If the headtube is the same alloy, can't/shouldn't rust. I know the headset is bad, I have a replacement as long as the headtube is fine. Replacing the crank and/or bottom bracket would be annoying. If it can be done for a decent price, I'll try to talk him down. Help GREATLY appreciated. I messaged for better pics.

·
Clueless genius
275 Posts
Worn paint is not a big deal; aluminum does not rust like steel will. It does oxidize and turn a dull, white-ish color, but it doesn't become weak like steel or iron will when it oxidizes. however, there is the risk that all the cable rub has worn into the metal and not just removed paint. It's very normal to for the paint to be worn off the crank arms due to rub from the rider's shoes: cosmetically displeasing, but not a big deal at all. With the headset, cannondales have an over-sized 1.5" headtube, so your replacement headset will likely not work.

Also, check around the bike for cracks. If it's been abused for a number of years, and in rough shape, it won't hurt to be extra careful when looking around the bike.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chainstay damage is from chain rub, sorta inevitable. I have a replacement 1.5 headset and fork, that's why I'm interested in THIS frame. I have a Large F5 and want to get this medium for me and give my buddy the large frame. You can check the pictures out here, obviously a close up real life inspection is better, but this frame is out of state where my relative lives that I would have pick up.

https://ep1.pinkbike.org/p6pb10792771/p5pb10792771.jpg

·
Registered
9,564 Posts
Are you trying to buy a frame to build a bike yourself? What do you want to do with it? What's your budget? Any picutures? Etc...the more details you can share, the better advice you'll get.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a wheel set. Fork, headset, and stem on the way for $60. Will need new derails, and front chain rings probably. I have a rear cassette, may go 2 x 10 though. Will need brakes and levers. So yea I'm basically building a bike.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Don't buy it. While not typical, people can do real damage to frames with chainsuck. That's how all the paint that's missing in the shot you shared was most likely removed.

What fork do you have? I think most of the Cannondale Trail series hardtails had pretty inexpensive forks, it may not be worth keeping.

Sorry you've already got some money into this project but IMO, you're best off starting with the frame. As you're finding, there are decisions down the line that depend on it. I've promised myself that if I ever do a scratch build for me, I'll start by doing the whole build on paper. I'll probably still make a mistake somewhere! :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts