Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this and I'm looking into a couple of used bikes as a starter bike, a 2007 Haro Mary XC and a 2015 Trek Marlin 5. Both are listed for $200 and have similar book values for whatever that is worth. The Haro has higher end components, looks to be in good shape and retailed for $1000+ more at the time, but the Trek is obviously much newer and appears as if it has hardly been used. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
What are you doing with these bikes?

I would get the one that seems to ride and fit better, put better tires on it and ride it. I would not waste money upgrading. It’s easy to dump 5-700 in upgrades over time into the marlin. It’s probably a good learning experience, but you may wish you had saved for another bike when it’s all said and done. Both routes work because we have almost all been there :thumbsup:

I bet you there are better options out there than these two bikes. My first bike was that much and was a much better trail rig even though it was 26. 2011 wolverine for 250. My only real investment was 1x10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Majority will be light trail riding, at least to start. And I actually misidentified the Trek, it's a 2017 not a 2015. Lower maintenance would be preferred, as I'm definitely no mechanic.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Majority will be light trail riding, at least to start. And I actually misidentified the Trek, it's a 2017 not a 2015. Lower maintenance would be preferred, as I'm definitely no mechanic.
They are the same bike 2015 vs 2017 basically. Neither is a bike you want to upgrade because they are a money trap and not really specs to be upgrade friendly.

I’m going to amend my statements from before

Get the Haro.
It’s steel
The cassette can be upgraded and replaced easily with 1x10 for cheap enough
Known clearance for larger tires.

Sure it’s straight tube head tube, but you can still get straight tube manitou pro forks on eBay from China that will blow the doors off most forks.

I think the trek has a non upgradable cassette and you are stuck with 3x7. Boo

This would be a great first bike to learn with. Just be ready to replace things as they go. I would save for a good set of deore hydraulic brakes and 1x 10 with a clutch derraileur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
Maybe post links of bikes you find, and members can give you feedback but I agree with FJ's post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts